Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Visit to Regan Nursery Today

harmonyp
11 years ago

What an AMAZING experience. I'd never been to Regan Nursery in Fremont, CA in springtime before, so I took a lunch excursion from work. I had been there once before in fall for their 1/2 off sale, but I definitely wanted to see their full selection. All I can say is WOW.

Broad View
{{gwi:259928}}

Everything is alphabetical, nice letter plaques and arrows showing you the direction to go if you want to stay alphabetical.
{{gwi:259929}}

Adobe Sunrise will be a new acquisition sometime in my future
{{gwi:259930}}

Most are moderns, with a few older varieties. Looks like they had just gotten their David Austins in, so most were not yet blooming. But, William Shakespeare was, and it was stunning.
{{gwi:259931}}

Comments (13)

• minflick
    11 years ago

I went yesterday, and got a sunburn. Beautiful. Took a look at Ebb Tide, which I really like in the online pictures. Ugh. Don't like and glad I didn't get it. Took a look at Firefighter and Dark Knight, which again, I really liked online, but not at all in person. Plus, they looked like they got hit with a torch - they're brown and kind of burned looking.
    My new want list is:
    Drop Dead Red
    Midnight Blue
    Silver Star
    Scentimental
    Yves Peaget.

I do have a question about Scentimental - I noticed that some bushes had blossoms that were mostly white with a speckling of the pinky red, and one bush had blossoms that were mostly the red with barely any white streaks. What determines what the blossoms look like, and are they consistent to each bush, or do they vary with temp and sun exposure and from flower to flower?

• harmonyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Minflick - that same bush stood out to me, and I was pretty tempted to buy it - it was so interesting as it still had a few normally colored white based blooms as well. Perhaps people familiar with striped color DNA may know what is happening. I have seen that same phenomenon with photos of the rare - Simsalabim.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

OH, what a wonderful trip! I wish I could go too. All the rose nurseries anywhere close to me are gone now. Boo Hoo!

• andreark
    11 years ago

Regan's is my favorite nursery in the world. The first rose I purchased there about 25 years ago was (this is a repeat) a Pristine rose tree. It was my mother's favorite.
    Last year was my first year with a small rose garden. And Pristine was my first purchase in honor of my mother. (gone now for 5 years) Pristine is a jewell.
    It was suggested to me by the Forum Folks that instead
    of putting in a raised garden over a cement patio, that I remove some of the patio and plant a new garden directly in the ground. I will be doing that next month.

My new babies will be:

Veteran's Honor
    St. Patrick
    Francis Meilland
    Marilyn Monroe
    Pope John Paul II
    Midas Touch
    Stainless Steel
    and my newest love, Crimson Bouquet.

I live in the SF Bay Delta area. Zone 9B.

Any comments?

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Don't you just love going and walking the rows! Our local nursery has a similar rose field (not sure about size) with a bunch of older plants trained on trellises and arbors. Even 5 foot standards. I will have to go and take a few pictures (and leave with only veggie starts-sigh)

• minflick
    11 years ago

It was a ton of fun, even if I did get burned. It will be even more wonderful in a month, when it's ALL in bloom. You could faint from the cumulative rose aroma. I sure would like to know what happened to those few roses that I thought would be gorgeous (the ultra dark reds) and instead looked like they had maybe sat in a hot car for a day and absolutely cooked. That part was sad.

• kathy9norcal
    11 years ago

Well, I missed you by a day! Lucky you to live so nearby! We drove down from Davis today. We spent most of our time geocaching at Quarry Lakes, nearby Regan's. (Any geocachers here?) Then about 4 o'clock, we finished up and drove over to Regan's. I love that place too! It has so many beautiful roses. I had to keep reminding myself that they have much better weather than I do and their blooming roses are perfection, while mine are wind-battered and too heated up.

Love the pictures you posted.

I picked out 3 roses and was told I got 10% off for three or more. Then, one of my three was an Eyeconic, unlabelled. I think it is E. Melon Lemonade. So, without a tag, I got it half off. DH paid for them for Mother's Day. What a deal!

• Tuggy3
    11 years ago

I agree about Dark Night. It has a little glamour as a bud but open it's a brownish muddy purply red. Mine is terrible looking. My Firefighter balled and looked torched this spring also. Mr. Lincoln is doing the same thing. It has done really well in the past. Don't know what's going on. My other big reds are doing great. It's good to be able to see them before you them. I have only mail ordered from them. What a huge place.

• mendocino_rose
    11 years ago

Such fun! I always wait til the month of sales.

• Airen21
    10 years ago

ill post a picture of what it looks like to go to a nursery here in the DR, that just happens to sell some roses......sad sight.

this on the other hand, is amazing. i would love to go visit one just like this.

• mendocino_rose
    10 years ago

Now you must go back when the have their sale. It lasts for a month starting Labor Day. All roses are half off. That's how I bought most of my Austins.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Andreark,

Crimson bouquet was almost in constant bloom here in Las Vegas and was a very clean plant.

Lynn

• mirendajean (Ireland)
    10 years ago

I'm green with envy! I wish there was a nursey like that near me!!