Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gee_ess

Suggestion for everblooming shrub needed

gee_ess
11 years ago

I have been researching this for a bit and am completely overwhelmed! I have a long retaining wall in my backyard and need a large, full, evergreen hedge along the top of it to soften the hillside above the retaining wall. I really want a row of shrub roses up there to give the hard landscape some color.

This rose needs to be everblooming, disease resistant, and mounded in shape, preferably 4 ft or so tall. I do not want to see the "legs" of the plant, if possible. I am in southeast missouri and this area is very sunny but does have access to water. Oh, and I am a very lazy gardener and would prefer not to deadhead.

Everyone here is crazy for Knockouts but I think that is mainly because this is all the local garden centers are selling. I don't mind ordering a variety to make sure I get what I need.

Would love suggestions. Am leaning toward red because the area is so sunny and like strong colors in the sun.

Thank you!

Comments (8)

• 5rosedogs
    11 years ago

How about Perle d'Or. Easiest rose I grow. Bush is always blooming.

• predfern
    11 years ago

Also consider Easy Elegance roses such as Kashmir. Check local nursery
    http://www.easyelegancerose.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Kashmir

• catsrose
    11 years ago

Very few (none) roses will be evergreen, much less everblooming in zone 6. That said, a great many Hybrid Musks and Polyanthas are 'continuous' bloomers, continuous meaning from May thru Oct. They come in all sizes and colors, including some, such as Weeping China Doll and Red Cascade, that will drape over the wall.

• gee_ess
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you for the suggestions. I should have been more clear - I meant ever blooming throughout the growing season. Our winter nights can get in the single digits on rare occasions!

One important thing I do need is for this bush to be upright. The wall already has a hardy variety of Caroina Jasmine growing along the top and cascading over. This shrub is needed to soften and improve the looks of the unsightly hill that is being held back by the retaining wall.

Will definitely look into those that are suggested.

thank you!

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Belinda's Dream (pink) is wonderful down here, not sure about your area. I don't grow it, but Julia Child (yellow) is gorgeous in the gardens I have seen it in.

• eahamel
    11 years ago

Belinda's Dream gets 6-7' tall and wide, and you can really see the "legs" on her. Julia Child would be a good choice if it can take the climate, I think.

Knockout has a lot of press, and too many landscapers are using it, so thanks for wanting something else. To me, it's the new ligustrum.

If you don't mind something that will get taller and bushy, there are a lot of OGR shrub roses that might work. Such as Blush Noisette, Mme Joseph Schwartz, Mrs. B.R. Cant, to name three.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    11 years ago

Mrs. B.R.C gets much larger than BD in my garden. BD is bushy all the way to the ground and extremely healthy. No bare ankles here. She's on Fortuniana here. As they say, YMMV. Natchithoches Noisette, own root, is a beautifully rounded, healthy four foot rose here. Is Zone 6 too cold for Noisettes?

• catsrose
    11 years ago

You might also try Rugosas. They are nearly maintenance free. They will take the cold, many are nearly continuous bloomers if it doesn't get too hot, don't need to be sprayed, and most have good autumn color and lovely hips. Many also sucker, so if you are looking for a 'hedge' they will grow into it easily.

Hybrid Musks and Polyanthas have more the knock-out look, but you want to be careful on size, as many of the HMs can get quite large and the Polys can be very small. Both will handle zone 6.

Hybrid Teas and Floribundas require more work and are less cold hardy even on grafts.