Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Classic Woman or other "Long Stems"

Posted by Kippy-the-Hippy 10 Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 21:37

Does anyone grow 'Classic Woman' and have any thoughts on the plant in SoCal?

Mom says we have plenty of roses, but wants one with long stems like a neighbors. Stopped by the neighbors, but she is not sure which rose mom is remembering. Mom wants a lighter color, I was thinking of adding a light or near white and noticed this rose today.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Classic Woman or other "Long Stems"

Classic Woman is a lovely rose which for me mildewed like nobody's business during our winter rainy season. In that respect it was the worst that year, so ugly that I felt great relief when I got rid of it. That's just my experience, of course, and hopefully others will have grown this rose and tell you theirs.

o

It's beginning to feel like I can respond to all of these inquiries, but it was one of two florist type bare roots my mom acquired this past December. Foliage is fine so far. The first two blooms were very pretty, creamy white with no fragrance that I noticed. Very long stems indeed. She said they lasted well in a vase. I'll keep you posted as it matures, but if you have a spot where you can put cutting roses with little regard to the look of the plant, it seems like it could be a good choice.

The other she added was Paris d'Yves St. Laurent which has yet to bloom as far as I know, but the foliage is a bit more glossy and attractive so far than Classic Woman.

Jay

o

Thanks for the mildew update, don't need that! And it is rather similar to one I already have.

Any thoughts on something "long stemmed" that would look good next to 'Peace'?

o

St. Patrick (yello with green tinges in cooler weather. Cajun Moon (white with pink edge). Crystalline or Randy Scott are pure white. Gemini is cream with a coral edge (sometimes pink). Marlyn Monroe is apricot. There are nice photos of many of these at the Santa Clarita Valley RS page (link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: SCVRS Hybrid Tea Page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here