Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
campv8baz

Is this black spot !

campv 8b AZ
10 years ago

I don't normally have a problem here in Arizona.
I am hoping that this is a neighbor problem spraying nasty stuff.
Can anyone identify this?
Thanks in Camp Verde AZ

Comments (14)

• buford
    10 years ago

blackspot is usually round. This could be spray damage, or another fungal disease.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

That doesn't look like the black spot I get but I don't know what it could be.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Maybe excessive fertilizer (nitrogen)? That can leave "marks" on the leaves sometimes.

Or have you sprayed a fungicide? Sometimes the sun "burns" it on the leaf if the spray wasn't totally dry.

My best guesses. I say, remove the marked leaves and continue on as usual--unless it comes back in the future.

Kate

• Jeannie Cochell
    10 years ago

Looks like environmental damage. Blackspot requires more moisture and humidity than we have in most of AZ. Some higher elevations may still have a little frost, especially if this leaf set is in morning shade. Doesn't look distorted enough for anything major. How many leaves effected? How many bushes effected? What activity is most likely to affect this bush in this spot? If you see it once and don't see it again, probably nothing to worry about.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Moroseaz- 3 climbers on a split rail fence near the side walk. Damage on leaves facing the street side. 2 in the front and one on the other side of the drive way about 60 ft away. All the rest of the roses are fine. I am started to wonder if it is happening because the guy across the street has some one come spray once a month.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Our roses leaves looked like that on Carefree Sunshine after being sprayed by Spinosad. The leaves were sensitive to the Spinosad just on that certain rose bush.

So could be something like that with someone spraying...

10 years ago

Here is a pic of our Carefree Sunshine after it got Spinosad spray drifted on it from me spraying a nearby rose bush.

{{gwi:249184}}

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow that looks just like it. What is spinosad?
    I have sprayed with ortho Rose spray I have a problem with thrips this time of year.

10 years ago

Some rose leaves are just sensitive to certain sprays.

See link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Spinosad

This post was edited by jim1961 on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 18:47

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, so if they are sensitive and you need to take care of critters what do you use?
    Thanks
    PS I don't spray Double Delights they don't like pretty much anything. I can use light melathyon spray. Should I use only that on these roses as well.

10 years ago

I have only used insecticides like Spinosad or Safers Insecticidal soap.
    My main problem is I have rose slugs here from May to Nov. But this year I'm not going to use anything just to see how bad it gets. I'm going to place birdhouses in our yard etc. to attract birds that hopefully will eat some of them...

In your case I do not know. I have no idea what insects you have in your area or what you should use. Maybe someone from AZ or nearby will chime in and give you a answer.

Sadly insecticdes kill good insects too...

This post was edited by jim1961 on Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 20:38

10 years ago

I just seen you battle thrips. I have no experience dealing with thrips. Hopefully someone else will chime in and help.

• Jeannie Cochell
    10 years ago

I usually don't use pesticides - just the garden hose. This year, though, I did use Bayer All-In-One, a systemic, about the end of February. I don't exhibit so a few bugs are welcomed. Aphids are food for several small birds, lacewings and other assorted critters. We've battled heat, cold and wind already during the past 3 weeks so haven't even had to deal much with powdery mildew this spring. Using a spray with imadicloprid will usually keep the aphids and thrips under control but, like Jim said, it isn't picky about which bugs it kills. Malathion, like carbaryl, can actually encourage summer pests, like whitefly and spider mites, because they kill off the predatory bugs.

The spray damage in your pictures probably was from the neighborhood spray application. The job of the leaf is to protect the cane and convert sunlight. If the leaf took the hit and the cane didn't, then the leaf did it's job. Most likely they were spraying glyphosate (RoundUp) for weeds and there was some spray drift. I'd just ignore the minor damage.

• campv 8b AZ
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the input. The thrips here are the worst. Some of my roses buds are so distorted. As for the other critters I am pretty much ok with them. I am using Bayer 2n1 with systemic granules applied per the instructions. Last year it work great this year not so much.