Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
umbrella trellis for climbing rose

Posted by karin55 6a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 21:54

I found a nice discussion of the J & P umbrella trellis for climbing roses but it is over a year old. I just ordered the largest of these for my New Dawn which I have struggled to train on a small picket fence (it just does not like horizontal). The price was right, but the discussion indicates it is a very flimsy structure. I am wondering if I can get someone to help me put a post in the ground and attach it to that. Has anyone done that? One of the posters said after her J&P umbrella trellis fell over in the wind, she tied it to a fence. Hmmm. Can I just start with it next to a post, or put the post up the middle of it? I welcome suggestions. BTW I checked out the garden artisans and whoa a totally different price range, well beyond my reach.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: umbrella trellis for climbing rose

karin, I had the large umbrella trellis with a Teasing Georgia on it. If I were you I would go to Home Depot and get some of the rebar stakes and put those in the ground next to it to help with support. A post up the middle might be a good idea too, if you are going to grow the rose outside of the 'tube'. Also I would spray the entire thing, including the screws with rust proofing spray paint before assembling it.

What happened to my trellis is that the joint of two sections rusted out where they were screwed together and that weakened the structure and it literally snapped off at the base in a strong wind. The make up of the trellis is thin at the base and wide at the top. Add the weight of a large climber to it and you can have problems. Also don't let you rose get too overgrown so that it is too top heavy. New Dawn is one of those roses that can get big. Maybe in your zone, it won't be that much of a problem.

o

Thanks. I am going to think this through. My New Dawn is vigorous and literally exploded all over the fence into the driveway and yard on either side and I cut it down this spring. It is already bursting with new canes. I am wondering if I use a ladder for it to climb up if that wouldn't be sturdiest. The order for the trellis hasn't shipped and maybe I will cancel it.

o

• Posted by saldut 9-10 st pete, fl (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 16:24

Why don't you just get some re-bar and make a trellis ? Put some conduit down deep in the ground, in 3 or 4 corners, or you can also use sewer-pipe, and then stand the rebar into the conduit and drive it deeper into the ground, if the sewer-pipe or conduit is wide you can also reinforce it with some Quikset.... and tie the rebar at the top w/wire that won't rust-out... get long rebar so you can walk under it.... rebar will bend enough to make an upside down V, and there you have a trellis that will stand for years and support most anything you put on it.... this was discussed on several Forums in the past and it really works quite well., and is much cheaper than buying a flimsy thingy that collapses after 5 months or in the first wind...... sally

o

There is not an umbrella trellis LARGE enough for my New Dawn..it is a house eater!

o

I like the ribar and sewer pipe idea. I was thinking of copper plumbing piping also. My New Dawn was immense at the end of last summer (4 or 5 years old now) and I am also wondering if I can put a section of split rail fence in front of it to climb. I would have to get help but it might look awesome right outside my back door which faces south.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here