Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with funky foliage

Posted by poorbutroserich Nashville 7a (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 21:55

Hi. Can anyone tell me why my Mlle. Sombreuil foliage is yellow, almost white. It's like it's albino....Do I need to add something to the soil?
Thanks.
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with funky foliage

I found this on the Heirloom Roses website and wonder if it applies:

"Another indicator of too much watering is yellowing leaves that are soft. Yellowing leaves that are dry and crispy can indicate insufficient watering".

o

I wonder if those are just "first leaves"--they all seem to be smaller as well as yellow. If so, the plant will shed the little ones as more mature leaves develop. Or you can help them along by picking off the small yellow ones--and then see if any new ones develop. I don't think they will.

Kate

o

Often, winter damaged canes produce strange foliage because the cane is trying to put out leaves on its own without a good connection to the roots.

Carefully look down the cane and see if you can find any damaged spots. Look particularly for signs of canker on the underside of the cane close to the ground. If you find some, prune off everything above the damage.

o

Great suggestions you all! I will give a good inspection today.
Susan

o

• Posted by beth NorCA 9 (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 9:16

I think it's really just a freak, random occurrence that happens sometimes in early spring. My SCENTIMENTAL has done that the last 2 springs. Just one stem turns white. Usually it will end up dying off before a bud forms. This yr it actually bloomed and the leaves and stem eventually turned green.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here