Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donna4010

Wich Buck rose to pick?

donna4010
12 years ago

We build a patio last summer and i would like to put roses around the back side. The 3 roses that i had in mind are summer honey, april moon and calico gal. I would put 5 in a row.

Wich one would you suggest? I live in MI zone 5.

Thank you

donna4010

Comments (13)

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I just bought Summer Honey and Calico Gal - they arent planted yet but I like the blooms on both. One of my favorite Buck roses is Dorcas - others are Bright Melody, Winter Sunset, Do Si Do, Honeysweet - there are many nice ones.

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    12 years ago

I love Quietness. I have three in the ground and several in pots. Love the scent and the form of the bloom, plus it lasts several days in the vase.

• barbarag_happy
    12 years ago

Quietness is simply outstanding! Bushy healthy plant, large fragrant blooms with an old-fashioned look.

Of the yellow blends, I love both Prairie Harvest and Winter Sunset-- you get continuous bloom nicely distributed up and down the plant (I don't prune mine much, I let them get full).Easy to say since down here we get little or no winter dieback.

Both Carefree Beauty and Earth Song are simply outstanding & extremely hardy and they are shrubby enough to look good around a patio. Wish I had room, I'd put 3 Carefree Beautys on 8 foot centers & pop the more upright Earth Song in between!

I grew a bunch of Bucks back in Ohio & they are great roses!

• ronda_in_carolina
    12 years ago

Quietness is pretty but my favorite is Country Dancer. This rose is gorgeous and EVERYONE who comes in the yard wants to know what it is. I know its not on your list, but I mention it because if I ever had a hedge-row of any rose....it would be this.

{{gwi:260717}}

{{gwi:220949}}

{{gwi:224630}}

• sabalmatt_tejas
    12 years ago

My absolute favorite Buck rose is Distant Drums. The bloom looks like a two tone lotus flower with a strong scent of myrrh. I grow Carefree Beauty which is tough as nails. I really like Frontier Twirl, although I don't grow it.

• donna4010
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all the replies.
    I love the looks of country dancer but i am not sure if the color will suit me. The reason that i say this, i have a mixed groundcover in the back ground of scarlet meidiland and white meidiland. The meidilands are about 8 foot away in a different flowerbed.
    On the other hand the pink will be really standing out!

Now i am going to check out all the other suggestions.

donna4010

• the_morden_man
    12 years ago

Let me add one other Buck rose that is often overlooked. For the most part, Bucks are hit or miss up here. The tougher ones like Carefree Beauty do exceptionally well and some others like Distant Drums for instance, while incredibly beautiful, often languish because of disease, hardiness and vigour issues.

One Buck that has greatly impressed me is the more apricot coloured 'Golden Unicorn'. Hardy, excellent BS resistance, large blooms with prominent stamens and repeats very quickly. The rose will also priduce very large hips at the end of the season that adds interest in late fall and winter. The only downside is that the bloom colour fades quickly in midday sun, but even then, it still looks attractive.

A really good rose.

• professorroush
    12 years ago

If you don't like Country Dancer becaue of the color then definitely don't try Earth Song! Carefree Beauty is lighter pink and blends better, but it's a big shrub. I'd recommend Prairie Harvest over April Moon....better yellow, healthier foliage, and a more vigorous bush than April. For a white/creme/blush, consider Hawkeye Belle or Prairie Star.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Musings blog on Prairie Harvest.

• predfern
    12 years ago

Another yellow blend is Folksinger. Paloma Blanca is a white rose.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

Lovely photos, jeffcat! Thanks for sharing them.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    12 years ago

A couple more I forgot to mention that I love - Hi Neighbor and Prairie Breeze - also Golden Unicorn though the blooms dont hold their shape a long time - I have 2 older bushes by my deck that pump out the blooms all summer with no hint of disease. Love the color. I do like the Austin roses but for bloom power and disease resistance - the Buck roses are great.

• predfern
    12 years ago

Wow! April Moon! I gotta get one. I have Prairie Breeze and the blooms are HUGE. Cane hardy, too.