Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
njmomma_gw

Where to buy Laguna rose? also, need pic

njmomma
13 years ago

So far, I've found them at www.rosesunlimitedownroot.com

Is this a good place to order from?

I haven't found a picture of one growing on a trellis as it is a climber. I would love a pic if anyone has one. The website above just has a close up of it.

Is it true that it is easy and overwinters well without babying?

thanks!

Comments (25)

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

I got my at Palatine nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Palatine Nursery

• njmomma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

they are sold out

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

roses unlimited is considered a good place to order.

I have Laguna, I'll take a picture of it tomorrow. The flowers are gorgeous! Sorry, I have no idea about cold hardiness, since that is not a factor here.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Here's 'Laguna', pre-bloom, with hundreds of as yet unopened buds. Planted 1/2008.

{{gwi:260873}}

• njmomma
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Holy c*ap! That's only 2 years old? Wow! Look gorgeous even without blooming.
    Do you think I could get it to grow up higher before going out? I want to put it where we'll have to walk right next to it to get to the backyard so I can't have it coming out at us.
    Any idea?
    I can't wait to see a pic when it blooms!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

Photos of Laguna at helpmefind.com. Scroll down and click on "Older" to see a photo of the plant (click on the photo to zoom in).

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Yes I think you could have it go up 8' and then over. But the growing season is much longer here, so roses are faster and bigger.

• jim_w_ny
    13 years ago

There are two Laguna's, one by Kordes and the other by Poulsen. Which one are you talking about?

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

I'm talking about the Kordes one.

• ceterum
    13 years ago

I posted this photos of Laguna for you on another thread but here it is again.
    Wait and get it grafted. The RU plants I got this year had very weak root systems; in case of a climber that can mean two years delay.)

{{gwi:225652}}

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Lovely, Ceterum!

• ramblinrosez7b
    13 years ago

Wow Hoovb that is one big beautiful rose even if it isn't blooming, please post a picture of it when it does, I would love to see that full of blooms.
    Ceterum, your roses look amazing, such an intense color.

• ceterum
    13 years ago

By the way, my Laguna also came from Palatine. But now you can also order it from Pickering.

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

Hoovb - isn;t that Sombreiul in the middle?

Is Laguna Fragrant?

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

Laguna is very fragrant.
    Olga

• senko
    13 years ago

I planted Laguna last year from Pickering and now it is 5' or more with many buds. The foliage is glossy and quite handsome, flowers are very intense pink. Winter was no problem here with no protection what-so-ever.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Hoovb - isn;t that Sombreiul in the middle?
    No, that is a small, graceful little Meilland climber called 'Lunar Mist' which is a color sport of 'Colette'.

Is Laguna Fragrant? Yes, as Olga said, very.

• jumbojimmy
    13 years ago

What does it smell like? I hope it's not an apple scent because I'm not that fond of that smell.

Does it repeat well?

Will this rose blend in well with the pastel pink David Austin roses or is Laguna a bit too modern-looking (i.e floribunda type of rose)? One of the reason I got rid of Cinderella was because of its glossy thick modern leaves.

Sorry for those questions. I hope you guys could answer them. Thanks in advance.

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

Fragrance is NOT apple, it is more classic damask with fruit notes in my opinion, but I am not good at descibing smells.
    The leaves are similar to Wichuraina ramblers. Definitely glossy.
    Olga

• pegandken
    13 years ago

Hi, does anyone know if Laguna can tolerate a bit of shade or does it need full sun throughout the day? Thanks.

• dani33
    9 years ago

Beautiful pics! Would Laguna grow in z6?

• sandandsun
    9 years ago

Hoovb's full bloom photos of Laguna are available below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosa 'Laguna' (Kordes, 2004)

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

Yes, my Laguna is almost hardy to the tip here in Northeast NJ, and needed little pruning after this harsh winter. It is extremely vigorous too. I got mine from Palatine, but I am sure that this one would do just fine on ownroot. The only complaint I have is that it is very, very thorny and the growth is a bit overly exuberant (as I have a very small garden).

I have ordered many times from Roses Unlimited. Together with Chamblee's, they are my go-to nurseries for ownroot plants. If you decide to plant it, do not make the same mistake I made, and give it lots of space! Because it is armed with thorns and it get huge quickly, I only wanted to admire it from far apart.

• newroses
    9 years ago

Laguna is a very good own root rose. I have Laguna on multi flora, Dr, Huey and own root and really no difference in performance. This is a photo taken May3, 2014 of 1 gallons planted in fall 2012. These were very prolific bloomers in 2013 even as one year old plants. Fragrance is citrus mixed with tropical fruit - quite nice. Good repeat bloomer.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?