Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wax coated rose bush

Posted by gooberpotts tx (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 13, 10 at 22:14

I bought a rose bush at Sam's and it had this waxy coating on it. I suppose I waited too long to plant it. When I did about 2 weeks ago it went into shock and all the leaves (there were only a few) fell off and now it looks mostly dead. It has no leaves and only one part of the stalk is barely green. What are the chances it will come back or should I jsut dig it up and start over with a new one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wax coated rose bush

Speaking from experience, it's probably gone. These body bag roses have about a 50% chance of surviving once planted. If you get them early enough and soak them well, that improves the chances. I wouldn't buy any more body bags. Buy either mail order bare root or potted roses. The wax is put on to help keep them hydrated, but I don't know if it negatively affects them in the long run.

o

Thanks so much buford! I won't waste my time then. I bought 2 and one is doing well and the other is pitiful. Off to the store I go!

o

The wax is there to help prevent the bush from drying out before it's planted. After planting, the sun will melt the wax away and everything should be hunky dory.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here