Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Laguna a repeat bloomer?

Posted by jim1961 z 5/6 Central Pa (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 22:22

My friend has a Laguna rose. Her friends have very young Laguna�s so they don�t know if this rose is indeed a once-bloomer. Does anyone have a mature Laguna and can let us know if this is a once-bloomer or repeat bloomer�. So far her friends say their young ones only bloom once. Thank You very much for any info you can give us...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Laguna a repeat bloomer?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 9:28

All three of the Lagunas on HMF are hybrid teas or a climber and should be repeat bloomers. Do you know which ones your friends have?

o

Kordes Laguna climber repeats well fo me now. (4 year old) It did not repeat in its first year. Needs good watering in summer to repeat well in my experience.
Olga

o

I think my Kordes Laguna Climber is 5-6 years old - it repeats really well. It was a bit stingy the first year - but many climbers do take some time to build up - I am sure it will become better over the years as it grows up.

o

Summer growth can be vicious. Haven't had rebloom to speak of, but I have to keep whacking to keep it from overwhelming everything else.

o

This is good to hear, since it is reputed hardy, disease resistant, and fragrant, but early reports said little repeat. If had a place for a big climber, this would be it.

o

• Posted by jim1961 z 5/6 Central Pa (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 17:18

Yes it's a climbing Laguna my friend has Seil...Thank You Olga, cupshaped roses, Mantis for your input...
Anybody else have personal experience with this rose? Thanks

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 20:09

Um, mine are mostly once bloomers, though one of them I hacked back and it immediately put out another flush of bloom, so perhaps a slightly harder dead-heading than I have been doing is the key to rebloom. Since they are huge, a whack-back is in order anyway.

Rosa 'Laguna'

The prickles are nasty. Gloves and goggles required at all times! She likes her fertilizer generous.

o

Same as mine. I have Laguna for 2 years and this rose still hasn't repeat for me. Last year, I even wrapped the canes horizontally (surprisingly they are very flexible) but no sign of repeat. Hopefully by November it will do well. I find the colour to be too vibrant to my taste (I don't even like red roses) and the blooms always hang down like a fushia plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here