Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timing for wiltproof spray to discourage RRD

Posted by lainey2 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 22:37

In order to possibily discourage RRD, when is the best time to spray wilt proof? Won't the rain wash it away?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timing for wiltproof spray to discourage RRD

I have never heard of this - what is the theory?

Jackie

o

The theory is that the airborne mites will not recognize the leaves as rose leaves so they will choose to move on.

This was inspired by the mites being unwilling to stay on leaves of R. bracteata in laboratory experiments.

At least two rose growers in the central and eastern US have had lower RRD infection rates than they might have had otherwise possibly because of their use of antitranspirant sprays.

To try to answer Lainey's question, I'd need to know where Lainey lives. IF in east Tennessee, I'd start spraying antitranspirants in mid May, or if this heat hold, next week. Midsummer, if temps are above 70s at night, probably not, and then again in August September and maybe into October. This comes with no guarantees. But there is some logic behind it. The problem is, that conditions (local temps, temps in upwind areas where the mites are established, future winds) do vary continually.

This is an attempt to reduce disease pressure on a garden and it has some limited success.

o

Thank you, anntn,
Actually my zone has changed to 7a, I'm in SW VA. So if night temperatures are above 70, don't spray wilt proof. If that correct?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here