Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocknroses

What is this and should I kill it?

Hi all,
This is another rose that came with the house. It grew like crazy last year but put out no flowers. I pruned it, fed it, tried to make it feel welcome, and this is what it looks like today: an expanding monster with one bloom, almost at the bottom of the plant. The next photo will show the bloom and others around it.
That's it. That's all the flowers I'm seeing on this enormous plant.
Anyone know what this is?
Should I keep it? If I take it out now, I could put in a rose that actually flowers.
Thanks!! I appreciate the help.
Sylvia

Comments (8)

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry about the peeling paint, by the way -- the house will get painted in the fall. :)
    This is a lovely little flower, but I don't know what to do about the rest of the bush.
    Sylvia

• henryinct
    10 years ago

I would guess that all that gangly growth is from the rootstock and that little bloom is from the rose grafted to the rootstock. Look at the base and see if there is a graft which will be a bulge and see whether this bloom is coming from growth at or above the graft. Also see if the tall growth is from below the graft which would indicate that it is coming from the rootstock. If as I suspect the tall gangly growth is from the rootstock you want to destroy it so the only thing left is the growth from the graft. And don't just cut the rootstock growth, rip it off at the base.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Or maybe just too much fertilizer and/or too little sun?

• paparoseman
    10 years ago

Sorry to say Silvia but it looks like whatever rose WAS there died and this is the rootstock rose Dr. Huey. It is a VIGOROUS climbing rose used as a rootstock on most modern roses since at least the 1950's It blooms once in the spring/early summer and then just grows bigger. If the weather has ANY rainfall during the summer it tends to get BAD blackspot.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everybody for your quick replies!
    I think paparoseman may be on the money. You see, I remember a white rose in that spot ...we had a white rose, don't remember what happened to it. The bloom has opened up and looks like a textbook illustration of Dr. Huey.
    Should I just rip it out? I'm tempted. It's taking up a lot of space right now --
    Sylvia

• paparoseman
    10 years ago

Oh I would SOOOOO dig the entire mess out. Make sure that you dig deep AND wide. Any roots left behind will send up new canes and you will be right back where you started. Then amend the soil nicely and plant something you really want.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Got it! That rose is outta here.
    Thanks again,
    Sylvia

• Zyperiris
    10 years ago

Dr Huey..for sure.