Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

Knock Outs

Whitelacey
10 years ago

My Knock Outs were devastated by this winter. All the top growth is dead. Today I noticed one shoot coming from the roots on each one of the three. I am wondering if this is going to result in a spindly plant with just one or two branches. I don't want to wait for years for these to fill out and I am thinking about removing them. Any thoughts?

Linda

Comments (7)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Cut off all brown (dead) growth. Water and feed--and report back in about one month. I bet you will have wonderful news for us.

And keep in mind that this past winter was unusual. Coldest one I remember in my region, anyway. I had to prune some of my roses nearly to the ground and they are now growing like gang-busters. They probably won't be as tall as usual, but they will attain a good height regardless. And Knock Outs are fast growers--so they should look fairly normal by summertime.

If you think there is something else unusual about the plant, do include a picture here. That will help us "diagnose" it.

Hope that helps.

Kate

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was wondering about the Knock Outs in particular because all of my other 'devastated' roses are growing quite well. These seem to be struggling although the others are in a more southerly, protected spot.

These KOs are in a prime area in the front of the house so I don't want a bedraggled look for much of the season.

That said-it's early yet! What a winter.

Linda

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

My Knock Outs look terrible too.

I'm going to have a ton of dead, thorny, wood to get rid of ...

• picea
    10 years ago

I was walking around the yard today and noticed the same thing. This winter seems to have knocked out all of my knockouts. My drifts do not look great but there is some growth all along the canes even on a couple of small plant I planted last fall and my quietness looks good. My knockout have a few small buds breaking at the base of very large canes and thats about it.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Picea,

You and I are both in CIncy so I imagine our Knockouts have a lot in common.

Linda

• picea
    10 years ago

I think I am going to wait another week or 2 then cut them hard and fertilize them heavy. Since they are grown on their own roots the new growth should not be effected by this winter. I am very surprised at how hard all varieties of knockout have been effected though.

• picea
    10 years ago

I think I am going to wait another week or 2 then cut them hard and fertilize them heavy. Since they are grown on their own roots the new growth should not be effected by this winter. I am very surprised at how hard all varieties of knockout have been effected though.