Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trinistar

Weeping Rose Tree?

TriniStar
13 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of this? I came across it a few days ago from a company called Direct Gardening. I read their reviews online and I don't feel comfortable ordering from them. So I decided to do look up "weeping rose tree" and the only place that keeps popping up is Direct Gardening!

Does a Weeping Rose Tree even exist? If it does, can anyone help me find one from a reputable company?

Thanks!

Kristy

Comments (27)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

However, in my area of zone 6b standard roses (AKA, "tree roses") are not winter hardy and would need to be grown in a pot and moved into an unheated garage for the winter.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

Someone was selling cane-hardy rose standards in the upper midwest?? I think Karl had one and it was hardy for him. I think it was called 'Polar' something? Can't remember. There were a couple of threads about it maybe a year or two ago.

I have a 60" weeping 'Renae', and lovely it is. Weeks stopped selling the 60" a few years ago.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

trinistar, here's a link to list of weeks (wholesaler) "tree" roses and a link to their locator page for a retailer near you. See if you have a local retailer who can order one for you. HOpe that helps.

http://www.weeksroses.com/pdf/2011WeeksTreeRoses.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: Weeks where to buy page

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    13 years ago

And, here's the cold-hardy "Polar Joy", I think this website has an email addy somewhere on it, you can email this guy and see if he knows where you can get one.

Here is a link that might be useful: cold hardy

• cloud9ecstasy
    10 years ago

I always buy my roses bushes and Tree roses from Cottage Farms direct or Cottage Farms QVC. I bought 8 tree roses and 4 wheeping tree roses this year from Cottage farm direct and are doing very well. Bloom after blooms.

I also bought 5 tree roses from Conier and are also doing well very vigorous trunk and non stop bloomers. I also bought 14 mini tree roses 18 inches tall from Weeks roses and ohhhh la la nice. Cottage Farms give me the confident and 100% money back if not satisfied..

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

I imagine many shrubs can be pruned into an own-root standard, as long as they are fully cane-hardy in a given area. I have done this with shrubby fuchsias and they look good. Just choose a strong vertical cane, stake it straight up, prune away the other canes, remove the branches and leaf buds from the "trunk" area, and shape the "tree branch" area.

Has anybody tried this with something like Morden Centennial?

• elks
    10 years ago

Polar Joy, aka Northern Encore, is a Jerry Twomey rose. I have been growing some since before introduction by Bailey stateside and T&T Seeds in Canada (I was asked to test them in this zone). I have two standards, tree roses, and one bush. They are cane hardy to the tip. The standards grow on their own roots. They bloom all season. They are scented. As a bush, it is truly magnificent, standing over 6' high and wider, covered in bloom as it is right now. They are hard not to like.

Steve

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Regan's is a great source for tree roses -- and it definitely has the widest selection, a number of which fall into the "weeping'' category. 'Renae' is always on their list, but the one that invariably sells out early is 'China Doll'. Another on Regan's list that's getting good reports as a weeping rose tree is 'Electric Blanket' (one of the varieties in the Kordes "Vigorosa" series).

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

I have a Gourmet Popcorn tree from Regan. Initially it looked like a fluffy white lollipop. I kept it neatly trimmed, but I wasn't all that enamored with the appearance. Then I read somewhere that it will weep, so this year I left it alone. Some of the canes are arching toward the ground. It's bit lopsided now but you can see the potential.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Would love to see photo of your 'Polar Joy', Steve.

• elks
    10 years ago

I'm a little green. Perhaps next month when I have time, I will figure out how to upload pictures here. I believe I have to find a place to store them on the web somewhere.

S

• elks
    10 years ago

The bush, with Hansa and a few poppies.

• loveandpeace
    10 years ago

Hello
    This is a timely thread!
    I have to confess an obsession with weeping standards - I think they are just stunning.
    In the UK the full sized weeping standards are really difficult to find, there are also not many varieties available, and if available are very expensive, especially if you take postage into consideration. Fortunately I have had luck in finding them in the EU.
    From personal experience I would suggest you find something that is Very Very resistant to disease, there is nothing more awful than looking at head height bare thorny branches.
    Of all my standards the most successful and beautiful have been Rosarium uetersen and Leverkusen, as I do prefer a large flower. The most disappointing have been the small flowering varieties - I really donâÂÂt like such small blooms, especially as they have no impact from a distance - look spotty if that makes sense!
    I have done a little research and will hopefully be looking to graft my own standards (rootstock is pfander) and I am currently on the look out for some new varieties to bud I am considering parade, ilse krohn superior. I would really like to use coral dawn but she has no resistance to BS here, if any has any recommendations please let me know!

M

• susan4952
    10 years ago

I know this is not what u are writing about, but here is my 5 year old liv tyler, who has taken a weeping ( more like drooping) form this summer. This is Chicago so I have brought her in for the winter. If you could have seen the true spring flush....WOW. I DO have tree roses that are thriving in my zone 5 winters and are so huge their top heavy grafted tops WEEP! I think I have a micro climate. Hoovb's Renae is a real beauty. My trees are all from Regan. I have tried baby's blanket and gourmet popcorn , as I love the weeping standards, also. They died.

• MzMolly65
    10 years ago

My local nursery had two China Dolls last week and I had to think before spending the $$ they were asking. Then I found out they were going out of business so rushed in today to buy one of them .. grrr, both sold yesterday to the same person (greedy cow, LOL!).

I came home with a Renae that they said I'd be happy with as a replacement for the China Doll.

Thoughts?

• motherjan
    10 years ago

I just received one from Direct Gardening and it looks very much alive. I have put it in water and will put it in a large container. I think it will look wonderful. Will let you know later.

• motherjan
    10 years ago

I also ordered one from QVC-Cottage Farms. It is due here on the30th of this month. We shall see the difference.

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    8 years ago

@motherjan How did the rose standard from Direct Gardening turn out? The site has many bad reviews online.

• motherjan
    8 years ago

Sorry, it didn't "make it." I have 3 rose trees and one weeping and all of them died here in zone 5. (Northeast Ohio.) I'm sick about it...and also sick about all the $$$ I spent. NO MORE. !!!

• Tina Buell (Z9b)
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

@motherjan, so sorry to hear that. Losing money makes me sick too.

For others who are looking for weeping rose trees. i just bought some online from witherspoon rose

http://store.witherspoonrose.com/roses/weeping-china-doll-48-inch-tree-bareroot.html

• mddlrthr2
    8 years ago

Thanks for the update on Direct Gardening. I was going to order from them until I read the reviews. I also saw that they and the House of Wesley share the same address. I guess I won't be ordering from them either (same bad reviews).

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, Friends,

This is many years later.... but I ordered a Pink Weeping Tree Rose from Direct Gardens. ( same rose tree photo as Burpee, H Wesley and a lot of nurseries all connected. I researched and it appears it may be “Aloha, Climbing. ( Boerner bred) rose grafted on a tree root stem. I live in 6b zone. It grew very vigorously, very fragrant, beautiful, hardy, and Its been in ground for now its 2nd winter. It was beautiful for blooms after 1 year this summer 2020.

They have same @Pink Weeping Tree Rose photo on Ad this year 2021 in all catalogs and on websites. I am very happy with it. I am hoping I named it correctly as “Aloha,” since they won’t identify name.

Direct-Gardening photo for Ad, but my rose that I ordered from them doesn’t look like this photo or fit it’s description as a “mini grafted bush.)

My Pink Weeping Tree Rose ordered from Direct-Gardening looks like my photos below... 5inch huge diameter blooms, glossy leaves, vigorous growing of course because it has been grafted from a climber.

I still need to stake it this spring. I expect it to grow large since it’s from a climber.. It would be more hardy than a Weeping Tree rose with mini roses on it.

Weeping Tree roses are either grafted from a climber or ground cover rose. For those of us with snow zones 6, 5, 4 and colder I would look for hardy varieties of Weeping Tree roses.

I have a Wedding Dress Tree Rose, with mini white blooms, but it does well on side of home, it’s warmer and blocked from wind. A butterfly bush is next to it giving it more shelter. I find foliage of other plants give them protection in winter, too. I just have good mulch around it’s roots and that is it. I find my whole garden bed next to home gets less snow and is warmer on this sunny side.

Great place for my roses.

• Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland
    3 years ago

Kitty may I ask what zone/ state you live in? Beautiful roses, thanks for sharing!

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, Dingo,

I live in Geneva, NY zone 6. Thank you!

Happy Gardening!

• abirakarim
    3 years ago

@Kitty6aNY, hi.

Is your weeping rose disease resistant? How big/wide will it get? I am in Ontario, Canada. Not sure if Direct gardening will ship here.

• KittyNYz6
    3 years ago

Hi, Abirakarim,

When you order from Direct Gardening the Weeping Rose Tree they don’t tell you if it is disease resistant.

However, I found mine is very hardy, glossy leaves and may be an Aloha climber they grafted to be a weeping rose tree. Aloha (zone 5 rose) is disease resistant generally. Glossy leaved roses are more resistant to black spot. Check it out online & you will see if they ship to Canada.

What is your plant zone? if it snows I would cover it w/burlap in winter and put a stick by stem to give it support form breezy cold wind.