Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosenemesis

Bad, bad Renee and Munstead Wood

hosenemesis
12 years ago

I couldn't help myself. It was one in the morning. I had insomnia. I looked at the David Austin site, and I ordered two Munstead Wood roses. Bare root, at the end of May, for a Southern California garden.

They even called me to make sure I was not out of my mind, and told me they could not warrant the roses. I didn't care, I want ROSES NOW. SEND ME THE ROSES, please! says I.

So, any suggestions about what to do next? Would it be less idiotic to pot them up and set them in a somewhat shady spot or to just jump in and stick them in the ground right now and hope for the best? I can put umbrellas over them.

Renee

Comments (9)

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Body bag roses used to carry instructions on their labels for mounding them up when planting. Covering the canes and bud union with mulch or soil, leaving only the cane tips exposed so the majority of the plant remains cool, dark and damp until roots form, indicated by new growth at the cane ends. Heat and light stimulate growth and flowering, two things you don't want yet. You can plant them and mound them with soil until they begin growing, or you can easily create cylinders of cardboard, many sheets of newspaper, tar paper, etc., to fit inside the cans you put them in. Once potted as you'd like, slide the cylinder inside the pot then fill it up, leaving only the tops of the canes exposed. Keep it well watered and don't remove any of the soil until you see growth beginning. Remove the soil gradually, unless you're blessed with a period of "June Gloom" or even rain, when you can expose all of them and allow the weather to help harden them off. I've done this for years and years and haven't lost one yet. Kim

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, thank you. I will do exactly as you say and keep my fingers crossed. You're an angel.
    Renee

• roseseek
    12 years ago

You're welcome, it works and it's easier than it sounds. Kim

• onederw
    12 years ago

Keep us posted, Renee! I just looked up your Munstead -- absolutely gorgeous!!

Kay

• jerijen
    12 years ago

If I were going to be tempted by an Austin rose, 'Munstead Wood' would be it. Best of luck.

:-)

Jeri

• kstrong
    12 years ago

I've been known to do that too. Actually, it was Hortico that just up and sent a bunch of stuff I had ordered for February in June. Here's how I got them going:

{{gwi:262425}}

Take whatever cardboard you have around and make a collar for the mulch, and check it every week or so for growth in the mulch by carefully pushing the mulch aside and checking to see if the top growth has started.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

Perfect Kathy, thank you! That is precisely what I was describing. I've done it for nearly thirty years. A long time ago, Gurney Seed offered "collars" made of plastic that I bought and used for nearly twenty years until they finally deteriorated too far to use. Kim

• hosenemesis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the photo. I see that the mulch is tiny shredded bark bits. That's great.

• roseseek
    12 years ago

That works, as does bagged planting mix, potting soil, good garden soil, etc. As long as it isn't compacted mud making the canes rot, it will work. Kim

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!