Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwtamara

New Photo Uploading

gwtamara
11 years ago

Hi gang,

We are currently testing direct photo uploading to our forums. You are certainly welcome to link from off-site photo albums, but we hope that many of you will find being able to upload a resized photo to our servers an easy and convenient way to share your photos.

You will find instructions below the posting window.

Please let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues.

Best,

Tamara

GardenWeb Community Manager

Comments (37)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Thanks, Tamara. I'd LOVE to be able to directly upload photos here. That's a change in the new Rose Hybridizers Association forum and it makes posting them there tremendously easier. One suggestion, if possible, on the RHA forum, when you preview the message before submitting it, you can see the images you've uploaded. Here, I can't. Also, when you make changes to the script, it appears to abort the image upload, so it has to be reinserted. Thanks! Kim

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Also, on the RHA, even after posting the message, you are able to go back to it and edit any errors then repost it in the original position. That could make a wonderful addition to Garden Web, too. Kim

• gwtamara
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Kim,

All good suggestions! I'll let you know if we can make some tweaks.

Best,

Tamara

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Thank you! As always, great "seeing" you! Kim

• daveinohio_2007
    11 years ago

test

• daveinohio_2007
    11 years ago

works great from pc.
    doesnt work from android phone which is where all our pics are stored.
    can this upload be made to work from a phone?

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

test

Well, I'm not getting any edit box or browse button on the preview page.

• daveinohio_2007
    11 years ago

Seil,
    On preview page under your message, you have a "choose file" button?

• daveinohio_2007
    11 years ago

The problem with mobile devices is they use a different version of java script (gava script?).

• landlady
    11 years ago

Yipeeeeeee !!!!!!!
    Let's try it out

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Yes, Seil, once you've written what you want, hit preview, then you will have the browse image or file, don't remember which, for you to use to upload the image. Fun, huh? Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

OK, lets try this again.

Nope, still no browse button anywhere.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I normally use Opera so I'm trying it again with Explorere.

Yep, there it is!

My newest rose, Sedona, bloomed today!

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Well drat! It didn't show up?

One more time.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

OK, so I have to use Explorer and you can only place the pic at the end of your text. Got it! I may just stick with Photobucket.

• betsyw
    11 years ago

Testing to see if Firefox works

• buckwild
    11 years ago

Test

{{!gwi}}

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Let's see if I can do this. Nope. File too large. So you have to go to a third party site, upload your photos to shrink them, then come back here to upload them? That's just as complicated as uploading to Photobucket. Am I missing something here?
    Renee

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Can more than one photo be loaded in a single message? Like sometimes, we like to show off 4 or 5 roses in one message.

Too lazy to try it out right now. I'll let the rest of you experiment first. : )

Kate

• landlady
    11 years ago

Renee, I use a free software program called Faststone Image Viewer. I use it to download photos from my camera and it also does a lot of other cool stuff like re-sizing photos....while keeping them on your own computer. It does mean keeping a good full size copy and a shrunk copy too, but at least there is no need to send your pictures to Photobucket or Flickr or ???? which I have never much wanted to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Faststone free software

• User
    11 years ago

Check, check...

• User
    11 years ago

And it fails, with zero feedback. That's really bad :-(

• roseseek
    11 years ago

I only see the ability to upload one photo, which is a drawback vs. Photobucket, Flickr, etc. I like how much more direct it is, but much more limited. The RHA forum allows you to up load from Flickr many images or up to three direct from your hard drive, thumb drive, etc. It also permits you to insert photos wherever you want to put them in the text; shows you how the submitted post will look, including photos, before posting; permits you to edit the post before submitting without having to re do your upload; insert multiple links; change color, font and size, etc. Not that I expect all of that from GW, but things such as these are possible. Kim

• landlady
    11 years ago

Gripe, gripe, gripe, gripe, gripe.

It's so much better than not being able to do it at all.

I say: THANK YOU !!!!!

• Beth Willett
    11 years ago

testing

• User
    11 years ago

"Gripe, gripe, gripe, gripe, gripe.

It's so much better than not being able to do it at all.

I say: THANK YOU !!!!!"

But it doesn't work, you see. Several of us in this thread have attempted to upload a test image and it doesn't work. Did YOU get it to work??

• User
    11 years ago

test

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

First attempt at picture:

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Try again -

• landlady
    11 years ago

Paul, how can you say it didn't work? There is a picture loaded with the first of your two posts....?????

And, yes, it works just fine for me.

• landlady
    11 years ago

Ah, and while I was responding I see that you DID get it to work. Hurrah !!!! :-))))

PS the Gallicas are bloomin'

• ogrose_tx
    11 years ago

Nope, wouldn't do it, said my file was too large...

• landlady
    11 years ago

Ogrose, try downloading the free software (Faststone) that I linked to earlier in the thread if you don't already have photo software that will resize your pictures. Because I take pictures at very high resolution, I always have to resize them before uploading them to internet sites. It is annoying to have two copies of the same picture on my computer, but it still (for me) beats uploading photos to Flickr or Photobucket....(just a personal quirk of mine....)

• User
    11 years ago

Well, I can't say whats going on here, but there are NO pictures displayed in this thread, as far as my machine is concerned. That HAS TO BE a back-end software issue.

• landlady
    11 years ago

Paul, I can view 9 or 10 pictures in this thread, including two in your posts, so I'm thinking the pictures must be "on" GW but that they are not showing up due to some setting in your system? I am the least techie person on the planet, so I'm not very helpful, but....I can see pictures. I use Firefox (just by the way).

Susan

• ny_steve
    11 years ago

Testing with my Mon Cheri and daughter Issabella...

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

trospero--all your pics are showing. The first one is a dark, dark purple (what is that rose?) and the second one is a full-bodied yellow. Why it isn't showing on yours, I don't know, but my computer son--when I complain about some computer malfunction--often tells me to click on the "REFRESH" button at the top of the screen. Maybe that will bring up the new page with your pics. As I understand it, the computer often just brings up again the original page (without the pics) unless you direct it to "refresh." At least, give it a try. Can't hurt anything. : )

Kate

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor