Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pot size for mini?

Posted by queenbee_1 7 (My Page) on
Mon, May 14, 12 at 1:14

A few days after Valentine's Day, I was at a local nursery and they had tiny mini rose bushes is 4" pots.. LOTS of them for 2$ each... I picked them them--finding ones, I thought were healthy--a deep red and a nice med. pink one.. I brought them home--sprayed, re potted and placed them in a sunny window-where they sat until Easter- then they were moved out side! Well, they had grown so much I just re potted them again in to 14" pots.. The blooms are only 1/2" long and look like prefect mini HT blooms.. Any idea how large of a pot they really need? Will these bushes grow to full size w/ tiny blooms? Should I go ahead and plant them in a bed somewhere?? Thank you for any suggestions, ideas, thoughts??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pot size for mini?

Evidently "mini" rose bushes you find in 4 inch pots may or may not be real "minis". If you like them, I would plant them in a bed near the front, and see what happens!

Jackie

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 14, 12 at 15:18

My neighbor buys those and plants them in her garden. Some of them are 6' tall!

o

With yearly root pruning and top pruning, can miniatures be maintained in 1 gallon pots and rebloom?

o

Musaboru -- In California, the only roses you can keep healthy PERMANENTLY in 1-G pots would be Micro-Miniatures. Micro-Minis are pretty neat plants, though, and I think may soon be more available than in the past.

Your average "Miniature" rose can (as noted above) make a 6-ft. plant, tho the blooms remain relatively small. We killed our first Miniatures, long ago, because we did not understand that.

For a permanent situation, I'd really recommend a 14-inch pot as a MINIMUM. Larger = Better.

Note, this is in California. I have NOT grown roses in colder zones with a shorter growing season.

Jeri

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 15, 12 at 19:23

I'm in Michigan and I have to agree with Jeri, bigger is better. Most of my minis are in pots that are about 18 to 20 inches in size. I found the ones in smaller pots don't grow as well and don't winter as well either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here