Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottage_garden

Choose One Climber for Your Garden

cottage_garden
13 years ago

If you could choose just one climber for your garden what would it be and why would you choose it?

For some reason, I've been bitten by the climbing rose bug and want climbers to fill every crevice. Space is limited but I really want to do a fair assessment before finalizing to make sure I'm adding something I won't end up regretting.

The majority of climbers that are presently in the garden are fantastic additions (Eden, Abraham Darby, Cecile Brunner, New Dawn, New White Dawn, Don Juan, America etc.). I also have a climbing Queen Elizabeth which is the only real dud by comparison. It literally didn't start productively blooming until the 5th year in the ground which makes it completely undesirable.

Please, do not limit yourself or your recommendations as color, size or growth habit are not an issue. Ideally, I'd like something that will produce flowers all year and it's an even bigger bonus if I can cut flowers for the house. Fragrance is always wonderful but certainly not essential

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Comments (29)

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Only one? that makes it an impossible task - the responsibility is just to overbearing.

One should know, at minimum, how much space you have or are willing to allocate for that climber.

Right now I should say Laguna. Check out Hoovb photos at the rose gallery to see what this rose accomplished by the third year. (or, shall I say what Hoovb accomplished with that rose) I hasten to add that both hers and mine are grafted. It is a very fragrant rose but I didn't try to cut the flowers for the house so I don't know how they hold up.

Compassion is also an excellent, healthy climber and the very fragrant flowers definitely can be cut.

Colette (Meilland, Romantica series) is an awesome climber with apricot-pink blend very fragrant flowers. Needs extra food and water to repeat well.
    Red Eden (Meilland, Romantica series)- that must be a California rose with its 100+ petals - it never opened here on the east coast, so I gave away though the foliage was superb and the bloom was promising. I am sure it will give you good cut flowers.
    Aloha Hawaii - apricot pink climber, also by Kordes but I think it is not going to be such a monster than Laguna has become.

Papi Delbard (Delbard)- if you want a smaller climber with huge fragrant flowers in apricot - orange but the blooms can be yellow or pink. It needs to be well fed and especially well watered otherwise the blooms will be small.

OGRS Noisettes - Crepuscule or Reve d'Or but I never tried them as cut flowers, Reve d'Or is too new, grows like crazy but didn't bloom that much yet - first year own root, so does its best. Crepuscule never stops blooming; one of my favorites. I love Jaune Desprez because of its wonderful fragrance but I doubt that it is good for cutting.

Your fellow Californias will recommend you a lot of those gorgeous cl. teas I just salivate over,because they would ball in my horribly humid climate.

You can plant anything except roses that have rust problems.

In any case you have much more choices than I ever had :-(.

• cactusjoe1
    13 years ago

Parade. Huge, healthy and breath taking in full bloom.

{{gwi:263141}}

• cottage_garden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Holy cow! I want them ALL! I simply must have every single one you both have mentioned and have added them to the list - seriously. Simply magnificent recommendations.

ceterum, are the one's you've referenced currently in your garden?

Cactus Joe, is that gorgeous display of Parade in your garden as well? If so, may I ask where you purchased it? Since you're in the PNW, maybe I too can locate one on the west coast.

Oh and keep them coming. This is simply outstanding. I'm so excited by the possibilities!

Many thanks and more please. :)

• predfern
    13 years ago

I ventured into climbers last spring with Nahema (a Delbard rose). It survived the winter with significant cane intact and is just starting to bloom. These are good signs in zone 5a.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nahema

• cottage_garden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

predfern, thank you! That's another fantastic climber to add to my list. May I ask where you purchased it? I've found two companies and neither appears to sell to the public.

Thanks for the great suggestion.

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

Easy choice for me. It would be climbing Pearly Gates because unlike my other climbers, it blooms all summer long with nice large, strong blooms.

• cjrosaphile
    13 years ago

Hey, I can relate about being addicted to climbers of late. One of my favorites is Fourth of July -- so vigorous. Currently have Eden, The Impressionist, Dublin Bay, Social Climber, Crown Princess Margareta, Climbing Bonica, Lavender Lassie. And a twig I got from Heirloom last fall died this winter, Rosarium Uetersen. Of these, Lavender Lassie is amazing -- got it at Rogue Valley Roses in Medford, OR. Verdict is out on most of these (except Bonica.) Some of the dogs I have had: Joseph's Coat, Westerland, Valentine's Day. My husband just built a 9 foot tall trellis in the corner of our yard. I envision climbers everywhere. Take the garden vertical!

• buford
    13 years ago

I also have QE climber and have a love/hate relationship with her, so I can relate. I do love her when she blooms, but it's so infrequent, the hate sometimes takes over. Especially when I have to prune her long gangly thorny canes she throws out with gusto (if only she bloomed with the same vigor). For the past 3 years, her only good flush, the first one, was ruined by late frosts. So this year I said 'if she doesn't bloom, that's it, she's out!' Of course she had that spectacular bloom that makes me forget all the bad times. Sigh....maybe I need therapy to get rid of my QE codependency.

I love Reve d'Or and Crepescule, but I don't think the would make good cut flowers. Don Juan is a great climber, great flowers and scent and the flowers could be cut and put in a vase.

• rootygirl
    13 years ago

I really like this thread and hop more people answer. I do not have a climber and I want to choose one for next year. I would like the roses for cutting, too.

On the OGR thread, they were talking about Louise Odier yesterday and I looked her up-beautiful! I'm just not sure which climber will like it here in middle TN.

• cottage_garden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

kathy9norcal, I love the suggestion and I now want that rose. Can't seem to locate it at unfortunately. Where'd you get yours?

cjrosaphile, just looked up the Fourth of July rose and how incredibly unique. And I must say - you have an amazing selection of climbers! My garden simply could not do without our Eden and I'm going to look into adding some of the others you've recommended. My Don Juan is quite prolific and very giving. Joseph's Coat in my garden is a bit on the useless side. It's like QE - it's basically just taking up precious space. And I totally know what you mean about Heirloom...love their selection but the twigs they send for the money are really nothing short of shocking. I bought a Lavender Lassie from them this year but kept it in the band for several months to make sure it was big enough to actually go into the garden. Not sure where they get such small twigs. I was concerned my puppies would use it as a knawing bone. Luckily, the plants were so thin and small they weren't even interested! Thanks for the incredible recommendations.

buford, it sounds like you've been in my garden looking at QE. And don't you know I said the same thing this year! No good flush of blooms and it's out!!! Well, this QE has never bloomed more in the 6 years I've had it and they're large and lovely. And gangly indeed! I need a scaffold to cut this thing. It's really quite ridiculous. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm trying to find Crepecule and Reve d'Or. I once had a Reve d'Or but I'm not sure what happened to it. Not sure if one of the dogs ate it or if I put it in an obscure place and it withered away. I have a lovely creamy yellow DA climber whose name I can never remember that I'd placed in an obscure location (behind an apricot tree) and totally forgot about her. That plant has managed to thrive and produce fantastic blooms on incredibly large canes. But then again, in my yard Graham Thomas is a more of a climber rather than a scrub - growing beyond the roof of the house!!!

You all are fantastic to provide such incredible recommendations. Thank you, thank you, thank you as none of these were on my radar and I'm totally tickled. Please do keep making suggestions. I'm committed to covering every crevice with a climber be it on the exterior or the interior of the yard!

Keep the great suggestions coming! It looks like one of my biggest problems is going to be locating them.

• kathy9norcal
    13 years ago

I believe I got Pearly Gates at a local nursery in Sacramento. I don't usually get roses mail ordered.

• ceterum
    13 years ago

Yes, I do have all those climbers I referenced in my yard, except Red Eden that I sadly gave away because as I mentioned it never opened in my very humid east coast coastal climate.

I will be killed if I keep posting the very same photos all over again, especially because I am such a lousy photographer.

Here is Laguna. I would recommend a much bigger structure for this rose that mine if you get it from a good vendor grafted.
    {{gwi:244253}}

Closup of some of the blooms:

{{gwi:225652}}

Colette in 2008 (before last year's spider mite attack)

{{gwi:263142}}

a bloom of Colette:

{{gwi:244260}}

Crepuscule

{{gwi:263143}}

a bloom of Crepuscule:

{{gwi:236229}}

I don't have whole bush photos of my Compassion only of some of the blooms. I just asked DH to take some photos - he will have a difficult job though because poor gorgeous Compassion is behind a Japanese maple that during last year's unending rainy weather forgot that it was supposed to stay "dwarf". We will see what comes out of those pictures beside the Compassion blooms on the top of the maple.

• taoseeker
    13 years ago

I live in a very different climate, but on top of my list is Climbing Souvenir de Georges Pernet; tons of fragance, and lots of large flowers. I imagine it will do even better in a warmer climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cl. Souvenir de Georges Pernet on HMF

• flowergirl70ks
    13 years ago

No Zephrine Drouin-it will eat up your whole yard. Personally, I love America, but no picture right now.

• jacqueline9CA
    13 years ago

I have lots of climbers in my garden, of all types and sizes. However, I find that the longer I grow roses, the more in love I get with some which are very old, once bloomers, but have a beauty that I have never seen replicated. These are all warm climate roses, so they should grow just fine where you live. Just personal taste, obviously, but these are roses that I run out to look at each day that they are blooming. Another thing about them, they tend to bloom at least a month before all of my other roses, so they are the rose arbingers of Spring in my garden:

Belle Portugaise (hybrid gigantica) - undescribable light pink huge blooms - petals are translucent and actually glow with the light sky behind them, long long big buds - I get a crick in my neck staring up at it.

Banksie lutea - climbs up 3 stories of my house and paints the entire building pale yellow with packed clusters of the cutest tiny fully double blooms. And it is thornless! Main trunks have peeling bark that make a lovely display too.

Fortune's Double Yellow - still trying to root this one, but I have seen it climbing 30 ft up oak trees, esplaniered (sp?) 25 feet across a wall in a formal garden, happily flowing over bushes in areas where it was planted long ago, but is no longer tended or given any care. Amazing yellow/peach/pale orange semi-double flowers that are so dense that the bush looks as if it was just solid blooms.

(You will laugh at this one) - Fortuniana! - yes, the ubiquitous root stock! It crept over my fence from a neglected old garden next door (probably root stock from a vanished HT), and climbed up a tall tree. The first time I noticed it it was a Feb/March - it was sending long swags covered with large double white blossoms dangling down from 15-20 feet up the tree. Stunning.

Try one - you might be surprised.

Jackie

• kstrong
    13 years ago

I like the striped climbers the best. Fourth of July is good, but Berries N Cream is better. And you don't say where you are. If you are on the left coast (say within 2 miles of it) then you can also grow my very favorite one, which is Rhapsody in Blue (yes, I know they say it's a shrub, but it's a 10 foot climber on the Orange County coast). But don't try that one if your temps get over 90 -- it will sulk in heat, but loves fog.

• rehabbingisgreen
    13 years ago

Does anyone know what is the coolest zone parade will thrive in with some care? OMG she's beautiful!

• catsrose
    13 years ago

Crepuscule. Hardy, disease-free, shade tolerant, fragrant, nearly thornless, blooms consistently if not continuously. She doesn't have big blooms or brazen color, but she is lovely. She's like a lady is a simple, unadorned evening gown with a single strand of pearls. Her modest elegance turns all heads.

• cottage_garden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ceterum, oh my heavens you have some gorgeous roses! Truly magnificent. thank you very much for posting them. I've added all of them to my list.

taoseeker, Pernet is absolutely lovely. Thanks for the recommendation.

flowergirl70ks, fascinatingly, my ZD is not a monster. I wish she would develop a monster personality. Have had her for at least 5 years and unfortunately, I've not found her to be very giving. She's in the ground and does little flowering in comparison to Eden which is in a pot and I can't keep up with her at all. I do have America too which is very pretty and undemanding. She's a quiet little princess in my garden but when she flowers she makes everyone stop in awe It's really funny.

jacqueline3, excellent observation. I'm totally open to OGRs and really enjoy having them in my garden and definitely want more. If it's a one time bloomer, along side that one would be another which blooms all year, preferably. Personally, OGRs seem to have the most brilliant fragrance. Is Belle Portugaise's color a baby pink? Just looked it up and it appears to be the most delicate pink (which is a color I never seem to have enough of). And I just bought Banksie lutea and have to admit being mesmerized by the delicate yellow color. I just wish I could have those incredible blooms all year long. I bought it to cover a fence but will probably add something else next to it (a good distance between it and the new rose) so I can have flowers year round. And Fortune's Double Yellow seems really interesting. I've looked up 3 photos and all three photos show completely different coloration. Ohhhh, I wouldn't laugh at Fortuniana at all actually (and you can guess why). I have a similiar rose 'White Lady Banks' in a corner which has completely covered the back of a neighbor's house. And when it blooms, everyone takes notice. I'd love Fortuniana in the garden as it sounds like I'd be able to enjoy larger flowers all year long! Excellent suggestions!

kstrong, Berries n' Cream looks enchanting! And yes, I'm on the left-coast - just a few miles from the beach. And I LOVE Rhapsody in Blue! It was given to me for xmas this past year and was the first to bloom this year. Now, admittedly, you made my eyes twitch a little with the reference that it's get 10 feet in the air. I may need to transplant it if it becomes vigorous as I'd love to take advantage of that height. That's one rose that make the puppies stop and smell.

rehabbingisgreen, maybe cactus_joe will let us know. It is breathtaking!

catsrose, absolutely fantastic description! You made me smile as I totally get your point. And there's nothing like having elegance in the garden. It's on my list! Thanks again.

jeffcat, I'd never seen a Red Eden until the suggestions on this post so thanks to you and everyone else who suggested it! It's definitely on the list. It's appears to be a stunning rose.

• predfern
    13 years ago

I purchased Nahema from Roses Unlimited.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Unlimited Delbards

• cottage_garden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Fabulous, thanks much.

Anyone else who's made a recommendation, if you could also advise where you purchased your rose(s) that would be great. Locally, unfortunately, many of the nurseries are going out of business or appear to be going out of business and their stock is quite dismal relative to roses especially.

I'm assuming most of my purchase will probably take place via mail order.

Thanks again and please don't stop with the amazing recommendations. I'm really quite thrilled to see so many which I'd never heard of and were not near my radar.

• berndoodle
    13 years ago

Parade rusted to death in my coastal norcal garden. Best hot climate climber is Renae: thornless, scented, very remontant, easy to train. It can be slow to climb. Check with Burling at Burlington Rose Nursery for availability.

• cottage_garden
    Original Author
    13 years ago

berndoodle, Renae is absolutely lovely. Thanks for the Burlington recommendation. I've requested a catalog since their site is under construction. Would be great to get as many as I can from a California grower.

• gardenmanya
    13 years ago

One day I'll figure out how to post the pictures.So far the link from Palantine http://www.palatineroses.com/rose/rosanna-garden-rose-climber-pink-blend/
    Amazingly healthy even in my area, smells like green apples, and lasts in vase for days. Mine is in its second year, and close to 8 foot.

• electricalumbilical
    13 years ago

Aloha. I like her so well, I had to get another one, and I have limited rose real estate. She's healthy, zone 5 hardy (important in my area), pretty, and has a pleasing fragrance.

I got both mine from Chamblee's.

Blessings,
    Applewood Annie

• ceterum
    13 years ago

My Laguna came from Palatine Roses (Hoovb's Laguna also came from Palatine) while Compassion came from Pickering nurseries Pickering also has Laguna and maybe Palatine also has Compassion). Colette I got from Wayside (I would not recommend them as a good source though this rose happened to be excellent, but you can get Colette from Garden valley Ranch grafted, that is a very good company). My Crepuscule is grafted - I don't know anybody who sells a grafted Crepuscule right now (maybe Coolroses grafts it on fortuniana), but you can get very good, strong own root plants of Crepuscule from Chamblee's. In case of climbers I do prefre grafted plants - I don't like to wait many years for them to grow and bloom though the own root Reve d'Or from Chamblee's grows in fantastic speed.

• phylrae
    13 years ago

Gorgeous photos! We're in a colder zone, so these probably won't get that tall, but so far we have and LOVE:

Laguna (own-root from RU-got in July last year)
    Colette (same " ")
    Polka (same but have had a few years-gets about 7 feet)
    Red Eden (this is second year, blooms were incredible last year, hasn't bloomed yet)

Haven't seen Laguna in bloom yet, but there are TONS of buds ready to open! Colette just opened her first 2 blooms, though the bush is very short so far....and she is the first of all 35 roses to bloom this year. Sweet.

Love them all!
    :0) Phyl

• jacqueline9CA
    13 years ago

For a California grower try Vintage Gardens - they are just North of the SF Bay Area in Sebastopol. They have a very good web site at "www.vintagegardens.com".

Jackie