Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Few questions

Posted by zone6-nj 6A (My Page) on
Sun, May 25, 14 at 1:45

Hi all,

Hope all is well. I have a few questions:

I have an own root Eglantyne that was from chamblees (one gallon) received last year. It did alright, didn't put on much growth last year, and had two blooms. Over the winter, it has some dieback, I noticed the roots were also very close to the soil after all the snow had melted, some of them visible. There were three canes after the winter ended, one was dead and the other two were fine. I cut off the dead one, and left the two, and they started to put on new leaves on them. A few weeks later we had a freeze, and one of the two canes had all the leaves die and the cane itself looked dead, so I cut it out. As of now, I am left with just one branch that has had the same leaves on it for weeks. It doesn't seem to be growing, it's just standing there, green and the same. Even after the TON of rain we have gotten lately. All my austins are loving it, but Eglantyne doesn't seem to be moving. What should I do? I put some Dr. Earth compost (has alfalfa meal) As a mulch and even after all the rain it still hasn't moved. What should I do? It looks so awkward compared to the rest of the adjacent roses.

Also I recently bought Winchester Cathedral as a three gallon from my local store, and noticed the smell is almost myrrh like. Reminds me of sceptred isle. Is that what it is supposed to smell like? I know Austin mentions honey and almonds, which I can see where he says that, but I definitely smell myrrh, and no old rose scent at all. Do any of you that have redoute, mary rose, or WC agree?

Thanks,

Drew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Few questions

I would guess that the remaining cane was injured by cold and will not support much if any bloom. I would take it out to encourage healthy new growth. Recovery from this treatment depends on how much root mass the rose has. Just this morning I pruned a rose nearly to the ground that I thought had come through winter OK, but was damaged. This was an established plant, so I'm sure it will be fine. I'm not sure about yours.

o
RE: Few questions

IME, a lot of Austins aren't really suitable for being grown own-root. They just sit there, don't get much bigger, then die back. Since most people growing them in the northeast, get them budded from Canada, there doesn't seem to be a lot of info in how they do around here without a rootstock to push them. Organic fertilizer will help, as will HEAT.

My recollection is that Mary Rose has a heavily damask scent. It also was a blackspot magnet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here