Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone6_nj

Few questions

zone6-nj
9 years ago

Hi all,

Hope all is well. I have a few questions:

I have an own root Eglantyne that was from chamblees (one gallon) received last year. It did alright, didn't put on much growth last year, and had two blooms. Over the winter, it has some dieback, I noticed the roots were also very close to the soil after all the snow had melted, some of them visible. There were three canes after the winter ended, one was dead and the other two were fine. I cut off the dead one, and left the two, and they started to put on new leaves on them. A few weeks later we had a freeze, and one of the two canes had all the leaves die and the cane itself looked dead, so I cut it out. As of now, I am left with just one branch that has had the same leaves on it for weeks. It doesn't seem to be growing, it's just standing there, green and the same. Even after the TON of rain we have gotten lately. All my austins are loving it, but Eglantyne doesn't seem to be moving. What should I do? I put some Dr. Earth compost (has alfalfa meal) As a mulch and even after all the rain it still hasn't moved. What should I do? It looks so awkward compared to the rest of the adjacent roses.

Also I recently bought Winchester Cathedral as a three gallon from my local store, and noticed the smell is almost myrrh like. Reminds me of sceptred isle. Is that what it is supposed to smell like? I know Austin mentions honey and almonds, which I can see where he says that, but I definitely smell myrrh, and no old rose scent at all. Do any of you that have redoute, mary rose, or WC agree?

Thanks,

Drew

Comments (2)