Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Blue for You Shade Tolerant?

Posted by jasminerose4u 9b (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 2:13

My young Blue for You Rose bush is not happy with its southern California full sun location. Do any of you find that it is shade tolerant? If so, I have a partial shade location that I think I may move it to. Perhaps it will be the right color there too. My Blue for You blooms are mostly white.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Blue for You Shade Tolerant?

I just saw this beautiful rose growing in full sun at the Inez Grant Parker Memorial Rose Garden in San Diego this past weekend. With my summer heat, many roses in this color family tend to fair better in partial shade locations. Your plant looks young, how long have you had it?

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sun, May 11, 14 at 11:03

o

Hi Lynn:
It's good to know you saw this rose in full sun and I didn't know that blue roses usually can't take the heat. Thank you for the information. I've had the rose for 7 months only. Maybe I should put in a pot and let it ride the harsh sun in partial shade until it gets older. A friend of mine said I'm not supposed to move a rose now, but I'm worried it won't make it through summer if I don't. On the "fried roses" thread, someone suggested using a tent to provide shade, but this is in front of my house and that might not go so well with my neighbors. Hopefully Blue for You will do okay with less sun on the other side of my house. I'll use some vitamin B to help with the stress. Thanks :)

o

I just got it, too. Potted it in a big (10 gallon) pot so I can experiment with placing it where it's happy. So far the blooms have ranged from virtual white to lavender to that amazing blue on the young plant. It's in a pretty much full sun area now.

Couldn't resist letting it bloom a bit though I usually pinch buds for a year. It was a well established Chamblee's plant.

One thing about your plant: the ground looks really bare. If you leave it, I'd mulch it very well with a loose material like oak leaves or coarse bark.

o

Mine is planted where it receives filtered sun through the California Black Walnut much of the day, with periods of direct sun from about ten in the morning, until nearly dusk. I didn't place it there deliberately, it was the only place I had to plant it. The foliage is perfect. The flowers stand up to filtered sun better than they do the extremes of full, direct, all day sun. That location is southern and western sun, which is EXTREME. The two plants I have growing in Old Orchard currently have shoots up to four feet in height, with shorter, younger ones growing up to meet them. It receives afternoon sun with some reflected off a partially western facing bedroom window. The plants are fine, the open flowers suffer a bit of frying during periods of extreme heat when the sun moves from behind the neighbor's trees to the south.

I'd think one of your plant's major issues is that concrete you can see at the top of your photo. Once the plant is established, it can more successfully withstand being cooked by the reflected, radiated heat from hard scape and walls. Right now, that plant is an infant. It has thin wood, a small crown and shallow roots. It appears to me to being cooked by the excessive heat it's enduring. If you can either shade it, or pot it for a while, placing the pot somewhere the roots will be shaded and the top exposed to more sun, it should grow like the weed it is. Blue for You is VERY virgorous! It will push new growth very quickly and can easily top out at four-plus feet in your climate. Reflected, radiated heat is a huge issue in your climate, even for mature, established plants. Kim

This post was edited by roseseek on Sun, May 11, 14 at 12:49

o

Thank you all. I dug up the plant and put it in the pot and brought it to a filtered sun location. I was sorry to see some of the delicate roots break off, but I think the rose will be tough in that way. Against the extreme, radiated heat, not so tough. I too got this rose from Chamblees. It looked much better when it arrived than it does now. Good to hear that this rose is vigorous. Hopefully it will make a fine comeback. :)

o

And oh, yes...I'll get some mulch. Thank you for the reminder, Bluegirl.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here