Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Climbing, spreading, purple roses?

Posted by ilovegardening 9 (Los Angeles area) (My Page) on
Sat, May 3, 14 at 2:26

Although I don't consider myself a rose aficionado, roses grow like crazy on my property with basically no effort from humans. So, with that in mind, I'm wondering if I can find a rose, or roses, that I can use to fill in a section of fence that's about 20 feet long and 4 feet high. I'd like purple flowers--the darker, the better--and something that would really grow and spread and eventually obscure the fence. Is there such a creature? :) Oh, assuming I need multiple plants for this large an area, alternating white and purple would be an option, so consider white, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Climbing, spreading, purple roses?

Would you like purple & white stripes? Purple Splash gets huge and grows quickly.

o

I'd LOVE purple and white stripes! Thanks for the suggestion of Purple Splash, ratdogheads. I'm going to check into that right now...

EDIT: Done! I ordered three and think they're going to work perfectly.

This post was edited by ilovegardening on Sat, May 3, 14 at 17:41

o

You might only need one:)

I love our purple splash!

o

That's okay, Kippy--I have plenty of other areas I can put them if need be! I figured better safe than sorry, so I bought more than I may need. I hate it when I'm doing a project and end up with not enough of some material! I recently removed a pre-fab pond from my backyard, with the intention of filling in its hole with soil and turning it into [yet] another flower bed. I stood there looking at the hole, picturing in my mind how many 2-cubic-foot bags of potting soil it would take to fill it in. Then I headed to Home Depot and had them load 20 bags into my SUV. I was GUESSING I'd need about 10, but I didn't want to be short--and I ALWAYS need potting soil anyway, so having excess was fine. Turns out I was off--by 3 bags. The hole took 13, and I ended up with plenty for other uses. :)

o

You will love her! She does have some pretty mean thorns, but she is owning about 16+ feet of our picket fence right now. Covered in 100's of buds and blooms well all summer long. Happy green leaves too.

o

You would never guess she was baking in temps about 100 degrees last week, other than the more pink tint.

This is just a very small part of this rose.

o

Amazing! Thanks for posting the pic, Kippy. Wow, now I can hardly wait for mine to arrive. I think I'll put two in the area I originally mentioned, and one at a different spot in my yard that has a smaller area of fence to fill in. Or not! I may just go ahead and put all three where I intended, because if need be we can train the third one to grow along the garage--as a grapevine used to.

o

UPDATE: They're in the ground--and looking great. They're already growing, and I'm excited now! Can't wait to see them spreading out through the fence.

I ended up putting all three in the original space I mentioned; they're about 7' apart. I realize three will likely be overkill, but I'd rather have the problem of too MUCH than too LITTLE.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 11, 14 at 15:21

Make sure you come back here and post a pictures when they're in bloom! We want to see them too!

o

I most definitely will post pics once they're blooming. Can't wait!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here