Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Help with Kordana Tree Rose?

gardenbug
9 years ago

I received this beautiful yellow rose for Mother's Day. It is a Kordana Rose, called "Sunbeam". It seems to have been formed into a tree rose. It has one single long cane and the roses are at the top. I know very little about Kordana Roses or Tree Roses. I need someone to help me to learn how to take care of it please? I would like to keep it in the tree shape. Since it was given to me by my son, I don't want to lose it. I'm not sure if it is considered a miniature rose or a standard rose. It came in a 6" terracotta pot, I replanted it into a 12" ceramic pot. I've included a photo.
Thank you very much for your help.

Comments (14)

• Melissa Mc (6b)
    9 years ago

I'm watching this for answers too cadence as my hubby just brought home 2 tree roses last night (an All a'Twitter mini rose tree and one that is half Ebb Tide and half Julia Child). I've never had one before so I was hoping someone here could help me with care.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

It is a tree rose, also called a standard. You shouldn't have to do anything to keep it in that shape. The long stem part has a knot at the top where your Sunbeam has been grafted to the stem. In zone 8 your winters should be mild enough that you can plant it out in the garden and the graft will be fine. Or you can keep it potted if you wish but you will need to put it in a larger pot. Otherwise you care for it just like any other rose, sun, water, fertilizer and pruning. It's lovely, enjoy!

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you seil. I appreciate your help. I've just put it in a 12" ceramic pot and will look after it well during the winter months. Do you think a 12" pot will work?

Vampygirl, what a sweet hubby you have! I think what seil said should work for us both. Can you take any photos of your tree roses? I'd love to see them. Also, it would help the experts to help you. Enjoy your roses!

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Well, a 12 inch pot might be OK for this season, Cadence, but if you plan to keep it in the pot permanently you should go a lot bigger or it will get root bound quickly. The pot I have mine in is more like 24 inches wide and deep and even in my colder climate and shorter growing season I have to root prune it about every 3 or 4 years to keep it in there.

Vampy, in zone 6 tree roses will not winter outside. You'll need to keep it potted and store it in a garage or shed for the winter. I wrap mine from top to bottom and keep it in my shed. It wintered well that way for the past 5 years but this winter I think did it in. It was just too, too cold for too long and I think it froze the graft at the top.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much seil. Great, I'll leave it where it is now and next spring I'll put it into a 24" pot. Hmmm root pruning? Something else I need to learn about. Thanks so much for helping me with my tree rose.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

How tall is the rose? It looks like it might be a smaller sized standard. I don't grow many roses long term in pots, would that make a difference Sell?

• newroses
    9 years ago

This is a Kordana patio tree rose with a pot rose grafted onto a root stock. It will need full sun and it will help to trim back the stems as blooms finish as it will help keep a nice form. I would recommend a larger pot to help keep it moist and not drying out in the summer. Regular water and fertilizer about once a month should keep it growing and blooming well. In a Zone 8B this rose should be quite hardy outdoors just be sure to let it go dormant in the fall so it gets ready for winter - no fertilizer after early August and leave it outside to adjust to the cooler temperatures. In February prune the top of the rose back to about 4 inches from the graft so that it keeps a nice form next year.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

newroses ~ thank you kindly for your wonderful tips on my new rose tree. I have it in full sun and so far it is doing good, mind you I've only had it for a couple of days. lol

I transplanted it from the small pot it was in to a 12 - 15" pot. Seil said it should be okay for this season and next year I could put it into a larger pot. I am going to add some mulch to the top of the soil. One question? You said to prune it back next February to about 4 inches from the graft? Where is the graft located? Duh!

• newroses
    9 years ago

The graft on a tree rose is at the top of the straight stem. At that point the producer placed 2 or 3 buds of the yellow Kordana. Be sure not to cut these off. But if you cut the bushy part of the rose back to 4 inches from the straight stem it will keep this tree form dense and bushy and make it produce lots of yellow flowers next spring. Kordana are naturally very productive bloomers. What you need to be sure of is that is that the stems do not get too long and thus the branches cannot support all the flowers.

• SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago

Where did your son get this beautiful little tree rose. I've been wanting one for so long. All I have by comparison is a pink drift tree rose which I love too. I wish I could find one like yours.
    My drift tree rose below.

• Garden Mist
    9 years ago

hi dsd, Sorry it took me so long to answer your message. Wow! Your drift rose is gorgeous. It looks very healthy and happy. My son gave me my rose for Mother's Day last year. I planted it (pot and all) in the ground over winter (we have mild winters) here in BC, Canada. Anyway, I'm really happy to say that it made it through our winter months. I believe he bought it in Vancouver. BC.

• SoFL Rose z10
    9 years ago

Oh my. Well that is a long way from me in sunny south Florida.

But I will say, I have been to BC Canada and it's a beautiful place to live so good for you. Vancouver is amazing! Enjoy your rose!! :)

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I accidentally 'thanked' myself. lol

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting