Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oklahoma- good garden performer?

Posted by adamharbeck WA Aust (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 3:13

I normally go in for the antique roses, but I am thinking of planting an Oklahoma for cut flowers. What is the growth habit like? Nice looking bush/ healthy leaves? and how does it go in warmer climates? FMF says it doesnt go well but others say it grows well in Texas.

The spot I'm thinking of planting it in gets good morning light and afternoon shade.

Thanks,
Adam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oklahoma- good garden performer?

My Oklahoma is fairly new, but so far it is a fine plant. Really BIG blooms, dark red. The bush is well-covered with leaves and so far, no disease problems. It looks, of course, like a hybrid tea rose and not a shrub or floribunda--because it is a hybrid tea rose. So if you just hate the HT look (some rose gardeners do, for some inexplicable reason), it won't do for you. It may be one of the shorter HTs--or hasn't put on much height so far in my garden.

My Oklahoma may be a bit slow on the re-bloom, but it is hard to say whether this will be a persistent problem or not. As I said, mine is still fairly new.

I'm liking Oklahoma very much so far. Hope it has no disappointments in store for the future.

Kate

o

I believe I'm in a zone colder than Texas, and lost 6 (possibly 7) out of 21 roses this past winter. Oklahoma survived with only one cane and I did not have high hopes for its survival so I bought another one.

Right now Oklahoma looks great. It has several new canes & 4 nice-sized buds. HMF says it's hardy from zone 7b - 10b. I don't know how it'll fare in your summer heat but it made it thru winter here in NY. It's in a pot, so when I buy new roses I look for hardiness in at least zone 6. I bought Oklahoma when I didn't know better and I'm glad it's in my garden.

o

I have Oklahoma in Georgia. It does well...one of my few to survive the winter. Huge beautiful blooms. Relatively decent looking bush but not great. Blooms sufficiently not overly so. Overall because if it's color fragrance and size, my favorite red.

o

Oklahoma did not grow well here. We have hot, humid summer weather, It required spraying with a fungicide. The plant was not particularly attractive and there was not an abundance of blooms.

When it did bloom, it was gorgeous!

Oklahoma - Hybrid Tea Rose photo Oklahoma_zps5e115346.jpg

o

I kept Oklahoma alive here in zone 5a for about three years using a rose cone stuffed with oak leaves and a mound of dirt over the base. It produced wonderful blooms and got about 3 feet high. After a winter killed it, however, I did not try to replant it. I plant for zone 4 nowadays.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, May 31, 14 at 20:55

Large deep red blooms, nice fragrance, good hardiness, does spot, typical tall narrow HT growth habit. It's not my favorite but it's OK.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here