Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
double knockout rose deadheading

Posted by crosswind (My Page) on
Wed, May 27, 09 at 3:54

All

I bought some Double knockout roses last year. I read that you do not need to deadhead them since the flowers fall off and then rebloom. Mine do not fall off?? They seem to act like other rose varieties and need deadheading? Whats the deal?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: double knockout rose deadheading

They don't need deadheading in order to re-bloom. The petals only are supposed to fall off. Deadheading spent blooms is optional for looks, but not necessary.

o

Yes, the petals fall neatly, the "head" stays but becomes soon covered by new leaves and flowers, and the plant blooms nonetheless.

As mine are still very young, I have decided to deadhead them all this first year, with the hope to further speed their growth. But I am not sure this is effective, probably it's not.

o

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was starting to think they were some oher variety and the sellers mislabled them.

Thank You !

o

I have 13 first year double KO roses that are doing great. I have been deadheading just to keep them neat looking. My question is: Can I just snap the bloom off at the base of the bloom or do I need to cut back to a five leaf joint? They snap off easily, but leave a stub of a stem. Someone told me that I needed to cut back to the 5 leaf joint? I'd like some opinions from this group. Thanks for your responses. Rosalie

o

You can just snap. The "5-leaflet leaf" thing is primarily to get long stems on hybrid teas. Have fun snapping, it is relaxing!

o

Thanks, Diane. That was the answer I was hoping for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here