Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuckby_gw

Old Rose Bush

chuckby
11 years ago

My parents had this rose bush and I transplanted after their passing, but I can't get it to grow much. It has two 4 1/2 foot stems. It will grow 1 or 2 more stems and the following year 1 or 2 stems will die. I fertilize it, water it, and mulch it. I have no idea what type of rose it is. My Mom had it on a trellis and it flourished each year. I would appreciate your help and thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Is it growing in full sun? If not, how much sun does it get per day? Did your parents live in the same area that you do? How long has it been growing in your garden?

If you could post any pictures, that would help too.

Jackie

• chuckby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The rose bush gets about 8 hours of sunshine per day and it is in the same general area of where it use to grow.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    11 years ago

Was it grafted or on its own roots.
    If grafted, are the canes growing from above or below the graft?
    When transplanted was the soil allowed to fall away from the roots? If so the bush was stressed.
    How long was it out of the ground?
    Has it bloomed since being transplanted?
    Many reasons could cause your problem including the blooming variety died and you have root stock growing now.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Karl makes a good point.

Have you seen it bloom, since transplanting it? What color are the blooms?
    What do you remember of it from your parents garden? Did it bloom repeatedly there, or only for a period in the spring.

Do you have any photos of it?

At a historic house here in my city, there had for decades been a small formal rose garden. Some roses had been lost in the years after the last family-member passed -- but some remained. Among them was a lovely yellow rose which I'm reasonably certain was 'Soleil d'Or,' Int. 1900 (the home's heyday).

The custodians of the place wanted to move the rose, to meet their vision of a re-adjusted rose bed. I urged them to leave it where it was, for I felt it would not tolerate the move. They did it anyhow. The rose died.

Old plants don't always stand up to a move.
    It is possible that you may now have rootstock.

Jeri

• roseseek
    11 years ago

In this climate, my first thought would be root stock. The second would be planted too deeply. Here, often budded plants set too deeply don't go own root. Perhaps the bush is planted where the drainage isn't correct. There could be a chunk of concrete or other stone under it, preventing root development. How does the foliage look? Is it the expected color and size or is it stunted and off color? There are so many potential issues, it's impossible to know where to look first. A series of photos showing the entire plant and how it's planted would certainly help. Kim

• chuckby
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The rose bush is 30-40 years old. I replanted it about 10/12 years ago. It is a pinkish color. The roots have never been exposed. It is not planted to deep. The leaves are a green/deep green. I don't have any pictures to post. It has good drainage. One stem is growing from below the ground and the other stem is growing from a stem that is above ground. I' not sure how to tell if it was grafted. It was never grafted since my family has had it.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

Chuck -- Kim is right. To tell you more, we need to SEE. A series of digital photos would help a lot. Got a smartphone? A friend or family member with one?

You can send photos directly to one of us, if you don't want to deal with the posting rigmarole.

Your rose was almost certainly grafted.
    In the period referenced, almost all roses were sold grafted, with a rootstock that was different from the "scion" grafted onto it. The question remaining is what you have NOW.

I do understand.
    At my parents home (now occupied by baby brother) there is an HT planted by my grandmother at HER home. My mother transplanted it in the 80's, and it has muddled along there for 30 years. I have no clue what it is (Ma thought it was Queen Elizabeth, but it ain't). And it is virused. But if that house is sold, I will bring my Nanny's rose here.

Jeri
    Coastal Ventura Co., SoCal

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    11 years ago

You might be having winter hardiness issues--Z5 is cold enough that microclimates make a huge difference in how many canes manage to survive winter each year. For instance, the climber High Hopes would have canes that would die back to the ground--only to be replaced by long canes that took all season to grow--and only bloomed at the tips. It was located in the middle of our back yard, away from any significant heat sources. Contrast that with the plants grown near our black asphalt driveway and the furnace chimney--we usually don't see any dieback--even on roses known to be winter tender.