Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corgitrbl

Tea Roses

corgitrbl
9 years ago

I am new to Tea Roses - are there any roses in this category that have the stamina and size of the McCartney rose? This rose is amazing here in southeastern PA. It had some dieback in our 14 snowstorm year. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (9)

• cecily
    9 years ago

Hi corgi, welcome to the rose forum. In SE PA, the roses you're actually interested in are called hybrid teas (HT). Tea roses are antiques that grow in the deep South. The McCartney rose is especially resistant to blackspot fungus(for a HT) which is very important in your area. Do you have a color preference for your new roses? Other forum members from the mid-Atlantic can recommend BS resistant HTs if you specify a color choice. Good luck!

• corgitrbl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am not too fussy, although I am looking for the paler colors. Surrounding this site are DAs in romantic colors. The DA reds are in beds in the front surrounding my patio. .

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

If you are available, the Philadelphia Rose Society's annual rose show is this Sunday, June 1st, at the Morris Arboretum (fee, but if you bring a rose to enter into the show before 10 AM, admission is free). Show opens to the public at 1. You'll see a wide variety of roses, and can talk to the growers about their experiences and care process. The next area shows are the West Jersey RS on June 7th, at the Moorestown Mall (free), and the Del-Chester RS show on June 14th at Longwood Gardens (fee, but if you bring a rose to enter into the show before 10 AM, admission is free).

I am hard pressed to recommend any HTs with the resistance of The McCartney Rose. Some have reported moderate success with Elle, which is a light pink, with yellow base.

• michaelg
    9 years ago

'
    'Elina' is resistant in some gardens.

• cecily
    9 years ago

Are you spraying your DAs with fungicide? How are they doing?

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Corgi, Cecily is undoubtedly correct, and what you really are inquiring about are HTs.

However, if you want to have a GORGEOUS book about actual tea roses (which mostly are warm weather roses, although there are people who grow some of them successfully in zone 7), get the book "Tea Roses: Old Roses for Warm Gardens". It is one of the most wonderful books on any type of roses I have seen, and it is the first book published on the subject of tea roses for over 100 years. Luscious photographs. It was written by 5 ladies in Australia, where they have a lot of tea roses which have been imported from the UK and Europe over the last 225 years. The book is full of mysteries that were solved, or not solved, re the identity of some of these roses, and is a good read for anyone.

Jackie

• farmerduck NJ Z6b
    9 years ago

Take a look at Golden Fairy Tale. Mine was planted last April and is on multiflora rootstock. It wasn't bothered by blackspot at all all year last year (I don't spray) and appears to be extraordinarily vigorous. It got to about 6 feet tall by August last year, and, being obsessively compulsive, I moved it in this past Februrary right before a snow storm to the back of the bed. It survived my abuse and seems to be recovering nicely and catching up with its neighbors in terms of bush size.

Also, the fragrance is sweet and strong. It is a thorny monster.

Another rose that is sometimes classified as a HT and has proved itself in terms of blackspot resistance in my garden is another Kordes creation: South Africa. This would be its third season here now, and it only shed about 1/5 of its leaves when it was worst hit by blackspot.

The two other HTs I planted last season were Francis Meilland and Firefighter (both of which got rave reviews on this forum). They were not blackspot resistance in their first year here. Currently, FM is a frail one cane wonder and Firefighter has died back to ground. If they survive, I am hoping that they become more resistant once established.

• corgitrbl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cecily I use Drench and systemics - Neem also.. Thanks for the suggestions. Diane nj I have been wishing to go to the M Arboretum for a while. I have an excuse now, might even bring some roses. The McCartney rose always gets the most questions in the garden. I always sing 1 2 3 4 like himself when in the garden. I love that guy. I helped with Shrek farmerduck and was thinking about some of the Kordes fairytale roses. We have a wedding this August dd, The Southern roses are intriguing.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

If you can't make it to the shows, drop me an email. There are some great rose growers in SE PA.