Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose leaves are being devoured

Posted by Charlie3780 none (My Page) on
Fri, May 30, 14 at 8:16

Hello All. I have 6 rose bushes in one of my many flower beds and a few of the plants are having are being eaten by something. I uploaded pictures of them. Could somebody please let me know what is causing this? Also, are there any home remedies to treat this? Thank you for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose leaves are being devoured

Rose slugs. Turn over the leaves and squint at the underside as you look for tiny, tiny green wormlike critters. Squish with your fingers -- or toss into the lawn if your stomach is quesy.

Usually all one has to do is WAIT a couple weeks--for the good bugs to show up and gobble up the rose slugs, but they usually arrive before that much damage gets done. Have you been spraying the roses with insecticides in the past? They will kill off the good bugs also. If so, you may have to wait until next year for the good bugs to return.

The manual method is the only way I know to keep them under control while you wait for the good bugs. Maybe some other posters will have some other suggestions.

Good luck.

Kate

o
RE: Rose leaves are being devoured

Yep looks like you have some hungry rose slugs...
I have seen small birds and predatory wasps eat them once in awhile but that's about it around here.

I have no idea about your area though...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here