Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zone6_nj

own root Austins that can endure more shade?

zone6-nj
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

After 3 years of buying so many roses, I've come to the point where I don't have much room left to put them! I have a large backyard, but I only plant roses on the side running along it, where I have spots to plant.

I have around 5 roses - potted in 1 gallon pots that I received as bands around 2 weeks ago. I want to put one of them in this one area in my front yard that gets a few hours of sun, I would probably say 3 hours of morning sun until my house blocks it :(

I have the following OWN root roses potted up, and wanted to know which suited the position best, if any (ive read people had some of the following own root roses and it did well in part shade)

Golden celebration
William Shakespeare 2000
Gertrude jekyll
Frederick mistral
the ingenious mr. Fairchild
comte De chambord

I know roses do the best in full sun, but I'm holding out some hope heeding read in the past some people having success with some Austin own roots in not that much sun.

Please advise me on anything extra I would need to do to keep them healthy and happy.. I already bought some of that dr. Earth compost (earthworm castings, alfalfa meal compost mix) to break up some of my clay.

thanks a lot,

Drew

Comments (3)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Of the ones you list, Austin's catalog says that Golden Celebration and Gertrude Jekyll can take partial shade. The others are not listed

Based on my experience with roses in partial shade (but not Austins, which I've never tried that way), you may not get as much bloom and you may get more disease-problems (blackspot) which means you will need to spray a fungicide.

By the way, Frederick Mistral is not a David Austin rose--though you may have ordered it from David Austin. Austin always carries a small collection of "other" brands such as hybrid teas and/or old roses. Austin did not create them, however.

Kate

• zone6-nj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Kate! I know about FM, I actually ordered from heirloom so I have a bunch of roses of all types, but most of them Austins with the exception of Frederick and Chrysler Imperial. I read of someone on the forum that said WS2000 and Golden Celebration can take and actually prefer partial shade as own roots, especially bands. But I'm afraid that will mean bad bloom/rebloom.

I don't know what to put in that area, I was hoping to put one of my roses there but it might not be ideal. 3 hours isn't enough sun.. even though it's morning sun.

hoping to get more information, and thanks for the reply Kate!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

Have you thought about putting some hydrangeas in that shady area? Most love some morning sun as long as they get shade during the brutally hot part of the day (which is after 2:00 during July-Aug. in my Midwestern zone 6). Limelight is a nice macrophylla hydrangea. But I also like Annabelle--which is a different type of hydrangea and can handle a bit more sunshine than the macrophyllas. (The paniculata hydrangeas, on the other hand, can take almost full day sun.).

I'm a big fan of hydrangeas and there are lots of lovely macrophylla hydrangeas out there--some supposedly re-bloom. They all bloom for at least a month--sometimes longer--and the bush looks nice all season. They are very showy in bloom.

Kate