Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mzstitch

Need a white rose for a pot - suggestions please

mzstitch
9 years ago

My next door neighbor has been admiring my roses over the years, and now would like to have one of her own. I'm heading to Roses Unlimited Tuesday and so she's coming along to hopefully pick one up. She is a mostly organic gardener, and would like a white rose. This rose will be kept in a pot in a mostly sunny area. I need help with suggestions for an all white rose that is disease resistent that can be grown in a pot. I have Bolero here in the ground and overall it's been healthy, with only getting blackspot during the worst part of the season. It's been a very slow grower though, and Stephanie from Roses Unlimited told me she is hearing the same from people in our area. It's still an option because it will be grown in a pot so staying small is likely okay, but would like to know if anyone can give me another suggestion, especially since I don't know what will be in stock once we get there. Thanks - Marcia

Comments (10)

• the_morden_man
    9 years ago

Marie Pavie
    Gourmet Popcorn

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

Little White Pet should remain fairly small, is low maintenance, and is almost always in bloom.

Lynn

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

Depending on the size of the pot, 'Ducher' should work as well. But since you're already planning to head to a nursery, why not ask them? It'd be frustrating if you get good choices posted for you here only to find that they're not available at the nursery.

:-)

~Christopher

• mzstitch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, I'm looking for a regular size rose though like Bolero, not a miniature or polyantha. Although I have to say I'm in love with Gormet popcorn and Ducher. I just may pick Ducher up for myself, as I have a perfect place for it. Sadly RU doesn't carry Gormet Popcorn.
    Christopher I am more than sure Stephanie at RU will be able to guide us in our selection. My neighbor's husband is not coming with us, and he is truely the gardener of the family and is the one that likes white roses. I already gave him the website but I was hoping to guide him with some suggestions since most of RU's website just states the names of the roses and it would be quite time consuming for him to look each one up on hmf. I'm about as excited as they are for their first rose, so I have to admit I'm enjoying talking with them about it too!

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

I have Paul Jerabek's Snowbelt from RU and it is a good, vigorous rose with dark green foliage and great repeat.

Smaller is the rose called Charles Walker's Picayune.

Both these have small blooms, but so many of them that perhaps the abundance of bloom will offset the lack of big petals.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Bolero was a very slow starter here, but worth the wait.

All good suggestions from previous posters.

I would say also look at 'Snowbird' (Hatton, 1936)--I have no idea on performance in your climate, but it has a flower about the same size as 'Bolero', has a good fragrance, and the plant is smallish.

• soncna 9a Slovenia
    9 years ago

I know it is not what you are looking for, but Little white pet is beautiful. There are many white roses, but Little white pet is really charming!

• dash_2006
    9 years ago

This spring, I also looked for white roses. I found Bolero, Frau Karl Druschki, and John F. Kennedy. They are all good. But, the most beautiful white is Frau karl Druschki though not much fragrance. As far as fragrance goes, Borelo wins with strong fruity (?) though Kennedy has classic damask.

Frau Karl Druschki is considered to be OGR (old garden rose). But it is strikingly fresh to me, reminding me of flowers of Jacqueline du Pre's flower which has a nice rather showy center stamens.

Yes I am also looking for more nice white roses. Last year, I got Clair Austin which is rather disappointing with smaller flowers. Oh, Margaret Merrill is another beautiful white competing historically with Iceberg.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    9 years ago

I see Roses Unlimited carries Pristine--a white blend rose I have admired for its exquisite shape for many years. It is also disease-resistant. I haven't grown this one, but love it--totally beautiful rose. Grows about 3-4 ft tall (hybrid tea). It is described as "white, pink edges, seashell-pink highlights" at helpmefind.com . Lovely pastel/white blend.

I also see Pope John on their list--another one I've never grown but it is often highly recommended on this forum. For some reason, I've never been able to warm up to it.

There are a number of other whites at RU, so I'm sure they will find something you like.

Kate

• michaelg
    9 years ago

'Bolero' is the best bet I can think of for the specs. If small fragrant flowers in clusters were acceptable, then 'Katherina Ziemet'.