Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kans_gw

Help with my new rose garden

kans
9 years ago

Hi ,
I am creating a rose garden against my fence. I am going to be planting 15 floribunda roses in a row. I have already odered 9 of them and will Oder another 6 soon. I need suggestions in arranging them . I am not sure with color combination. The following are the roses i already odered.

Gold bunny ( yellow)
Honey bouquet ( apricot yellow)
Double knockout (red)
brilliant pink iceberg
Burgandy iceberg
wottson abbey( copper orange)
Love potion(mauve)
Denmark rose( salmon pink)
Peach profusion (light peach creamy apricot blend)
I can buy six more that can look next to these roses.

Comments (8)

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

I agree on adding some whites in there.

I personally would do some clumps together of similar colors and then mix in a white one to break them up. Some reds/pinks, white rose, yellow/oranges, white rose, burgundys/purples, etc etc.

Hope that helps!!

• Kippy
    9 years ago

It would help to know what zone and general area you are in as well. Some roses that are smaller in cold areas can be giant in others

And what over all look are you going for. Some people like formal arrangements with spaces between plants and others love masses of plants in an Informal cottage style.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Would also help to know how long & wide the bed, what style, color & height the fence (picket, solid?) and what sun exposure plays across the bed. Will the roses be lined up or is the bed deep enough to stagger them? Are you thinking of only roses there, or of adding other companions? With companions or underplanting in mind, you have additional options for playing with the roses' colorways.

To sort this out while waiting for a thunderstorm to pass, looked these up. You've some unusual & beautiful roses! Used to cannibalize catalogs for cut-outs of blooms to visualize how roses might be arranged in a bed, or do the same now with printout photos. Easiest, of course, to have them on hand in bloom to experiment in person, but most are chameleons anyways & will surprise as seasons unfold.

Two lemon butter blends - GB & HB - seem equal tones
    Three peachy blends:
    Peach apricot cream blend - PP
    Lemon peach apricot cream blend - HB - seems to begin more saturated in color than PP
    Coppery orange peach with yellow blend - WA - if I got the right one - the most saturated hues of the peachy blends
    Two mauve purple blends - LP & BI
    One two-tone mauve burgundy purple - BI
    One pink to mauve & white or cream blend - BPI
    One salmon pink - Denmark Rose - for which I drew a blank - if WA is Woburn Abbey, that has shades of salmon

Data on the rose list (best guesses on my part from several sources each):

Gold Bunny 2-3X2' Lemon to butter yellow blend 4" blooms semi-glossy dark green foliage
    Honey Bouquet 3.5-4x3' Lemon with apricot yellow blend 4.75" blooms semi-glossy dark green foliage
    Peach Profusion 3.5x3.5' Peach wth apricot blend ?" blooms glossy dark green foliage
    Wottson Abbey - couldn't find this - could it be Woburn Abbey? 3.5x3.5' (some say more 3x2') Coppery orange peach with yellow blend 2.25" blooms semi-glossy dark green foliage
    Denmark rose - came up cold on this one (Paparoa?) salmon pink
    Love Potion 3-4x3' Mauve purple rose two-tone blend 3.5" blooms glosssy dark green foliage
    Brilliant Pink Iceberg 3-5x3-5' White to cream with light to bright pink or mauve blend 3.5" blooms semi-glossy foliage
    Burgundy Iceberg (sport of above) Deep to burgundy mauve purple two-tone blend

Edited to add: Whoops, unintentionally left out your Knock Out. Unsure how this color could be integrated unless used as a centerpiece or combined with a twin as bookends to the bed. Understand they can become quite large at 5x5'.

This post was edited by vasue on Wed, May 21, 14 at 17:00

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Anxious the storm would mess up the internet connection & poof the previous post. Adding a link for Pink Profusion. A very fetching rose - thanks for the introduction!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Profusion

This post was edited by vasue on Wed, May 21, 14 at 17:03

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

You know, I never plan my beds for colors past not putting two of the same color next to each other. I like the colors mixed the way nature does it. It's hard enough trying to get them so the smaller ones aren't behind the bigger ones without worrying about color arrangements too. Plant them how you like them and don't worry about "arrangements".

• kans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everybody,
    Thanks vasue for your details on my roses!
    I live in Melbourne,Australia.
    The space is 15.5 m in length, 1 m width.
    I am planing on 15 roses. I read i have to plant them 1m apart????

• kans
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And Btw that's Renmark rose - salmon pink.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations