Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Your Favorite Mauvey-Pink Rose?

Posted by missmary 7a (My Page) on
Thu, May 31, 12 at 8:43

Do you have a favorite rose in a mauve-y shade of pink that you could recommend? Not a hybrid tea would be preferable.

But, having said that - if it were to have a glamorously beautiful bloom, and wouldn't be overly blackspot prone in my hot humid mid atlantic area, it would be especially appreciated! :-)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Your Favorite Mauvey-Pink Rose?

Lavender Lassie here. Although I suspect it would be somewhat BS prone in your area.

o

Sister Elizabeth, one of the Austins, has a beautiful pink-mauve color. It needs afternoon shade and I don't know whether it's blackspot-resistant or not.

o

Young Lycidas.

o

I love Angel Face! I can't grow here in my zone- she's just too tender but boy, what a beauty she is.

o

Love Potion is one I really like, and it has better blackspot resistance than many in its color range:

Here is a link that might be useful: Love Potion

o

Blueberry Hill is a favorite of mine. It's vigorous and blooms constantly. I also love Angel Face, a beautiful classic with ruffly blooms and a nice scent. For a more bluish, true lavender, I think Blue Bayou is exquisite, but it doesn't last in the sun. It's hard to get, though. Diane

o

2 older floribundas immediately come to mind - the lovely Harkness rose, Lagoon and the Le Grice (a masterful breeder of unusually coloured roses) rose, Lilac Charm. Now I am thinking about this, yet another LeGrice rose called Ripples is also a rather lovely notable pinky-lilac. All are beautifully formed singles with delicate ruffles to the petal edges but, like many of the mauves and purples, need a little pampering and careful placement. A newer rose for me which I am watching avidly in my garden is Odyssey, from the breeder of Rhapsody in Blue (Cowlishaw). Odyssey is a much smaller rose and lacks the ungainly growth of RiB, as well as having a paler lavender colour.
I do not care for any of the double lilacs or 'blue' roses such as Blue Moon or Blue Girl - I am convinced that singles or at most, semi-doubles work better with this coloration than the more 'classical' high centred HT shape.

o

"Natchitoches Noisette" or Sweet Pea for a shorter rose.

I've always wanted Jasmina, too, from the looks of her. Wow! Maybe next year. The ones above I grow and love :)

o

Escapade, an old Harkness floribunda which covers itself with semi-double blooms. An exceptionally graceful modern rose.
I wouldn't be without Lavender Dream, a hybrid musk bred in Holland-- exceptionally healthy and vigorous and repeats well. Here is is much wider than tall, my 3 year old plant is 6 foot by 3 foot and clearly still gaining size!

o

• Posted by elks US5 Can6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 4:23

Another Harkness rose that is much mauver than many, Yesterday.

Steve

o

My favorite, in my climate, is Ralph Moore's 'Silver Cloud'. For me, the rose is prolific and disease free. The bloom are some of the first of the season and now that I have the curculio problem solved, the whole plant is covered in bloom and is a stand out in the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silver Cloud on HMF

o

Heirloom has always been my favorite mauve. Although it is tougher than my others such as Angel Face, Betty Streisand, Simply Marvelous and Neptune, Heirloom still requires spray to avoid black spot.

Photobucket

o

harryshoe, your photo of Heirloom is exquisite, and it has got me more excited about my new Heirloom. If its blooms looks like yours do, I'm sure it will be a favorite mauvy-pink of mine, too. After seeing a friend's Heirloom and being impressed with it, I knew I had to have my own this year. It was planted bareroot about six weeks ago and has lots of buds already. It seems to be a very vigorous rose so far. Diane

o

Yes, beautiful picture, harryshoe.

I bought heirloom this year, too, bare root. It is doing great and has produced several big, fluffy blooms so far and is now working on a couple more new buds.

Very pretty color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here