Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do snails harm Roses?

Posted by susanp508 10 (My Page) on
Mon, May 25, 09 at 8:43

We've had alot of rain lately and the snails are coming out I have potted roses and have noticed snails around . I was wondering if they harm the roses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do snails harm Roses?

That would depend upon the snail species. Some are only scavengers, and others feed only on specific foods (such as the lichen that grow on rocks). However, there are indeed snail species that will happily eat plants, including roses.

o

Oh yes, some do take a snack. Others just climb on them, I like to imagine they do it to take a look at the landscape.

You can opt for one of the following two things:
1-just make them fall down
2-leave all the snails where they are, mark the leaves where you see them, and check in a couple of days if those leaves have been damaged. If so, you know you have snails with a wrong eating habit... eh eh!

o

We sure have alot of slugs & snails here in coastal Oregon & they have never bothered any of my roses. This year I started adding some different perennials & they sure like some of them though.

o

We have enormous slugs here and have used the product SLUGGO..it is a natural product and does not make your dog sick..it just kills slugs

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 25, 09 at 12:22

The rare ones I have seen that damage roses go up into the center of the flowers and eat the stamens and pollen. Here they vastly prefer soft, tender, juicy foliage that is close to the ground. If you see them up in the roses they may be climbing to get away from puddles of rain so they don't drown.

o
RE: do snails harm Roses? Thanks for info

I have learned alot about snails and slugs today. I will watch to see if they go after roses. Thanks all.........Susan

o

Hi Susan,

The snails we have here will eat just about anything that is damp and decaying. Snails secrete slime that dissolves or partially digests organic matter, which they ingest. Our local snails secrete enough slime on new plants over several nights that they kill them. Products containing iron phosphate are safe and labeled for snail control. They work very well in a granular form to avoid frequent application. If you check the label, you will see that Sluggo contains iron phosphate. Diatomaceous earth is safe but works well only with frequent applications. Sulfur comes in pellets or granules to avoid frequent application, or dust if you don't mind applying between rains. It is good fertilizer if you need to loosen your soil and lower pH.

Best wishes,
Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here