Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanp508

do snails harm Roses?

susanp508
14 years ago

We've had alot of rain lately and the snails are coming out I have potted roses and have noticed snails around . I was wondering if they harm the roses.

Comments (9)

• york_rose
    14 years ago

That would depend upon the snail species. Some are only scavengers, and others feed only on specific foods (such as the lichen that grow on rocks). However, there are indeed snail species that will happily eat plants, including roses.

• scardan123
    14 years ago

Oh yes, some do take a snack. Others just climb on them, I like to imagine they do it to take a look at the landscape.

You can opt for one of the following two things:
    1-just make them fall down
    2-leave all the snails where they are, mark the leaves where you see them, and check in a couple of days if those leaves have been damaged. If so, you know you have snails with a wrong eating habit... eh eh!

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

We have enormous slugs here and have used the product SLUGGO..it is a natural product and does not make your dog sick..it just kills slugs

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    14 years ago

The rare ones I have seen that damage roses go up into the center of the flowers and eat the stamens and pollen. Here they vastly prefer soft, tender, juicy foliage that is close to the ground. If you see them up in the roses they may be climbing to get away from puddles of rain so they don't drown.

• susanp508
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have learned alot about snails and slugs today. I will watch to see if they go after roses. Thanks all.........Susan

• elgrillo
    14 years ago

Hi Susan,

The snails we have here will eat just about anything that is damp and decaying. Snails secrete slime that dissolves or partially digests organic matter, which they ingest. Our local snails secrete enough slime on new plants over several nights that they kill them. Products containing iron phosphate are safe and labeled for snail control. They work very well in a granular form to avoid frequent application. If you check the label, you will see that Sluggo contains iron phosphate. Diatomaceous earth is safe but works well only with frequent applications. Sulfur comes in pellets or granules to avoid frequent application, or dust if you don't mind applying between rains. It is good fertilizer if you need to loosen your soil and lower pH.

Best wishes,
    Gary

• Paul Fiske
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We have one little rose that we are trying to save, it was attacked by slugs! I now will use slug killer. These were not rose slugs either, but the standard northwest type. The rose was doing very well, then in one night practically destroyed. It’s war, now. Game on, no slug is getting this rose again. Very weird, nev thought slugs went after roses, but they do. this was a tender young transplant.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Paul - good luck! Save that rose!