Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
apinksweater

Looking for a specific rose-sentimental reasons

apinksweater
9 years ago

As the title suggests, I am looking for a certain type of rose.

In the late 1970's (and maybe very early 1980, 81) my grandmother planted a LOT of rose bushes. The one that she loved the most was a pale orange/peach with a blush of crimson on the outer layers- and almost pale yellow in the center. As the rose opened and bloomed it was almost pale pink/salmon as it died. The bush never grew very tall- no more than 3 ft Id say. The rose itself was a large flower, fragrant, It may have been a double petal- and it bloomed until Mid October. My birthday is mid October, and she would always go out and clip me the last of the roses and give it as a birthday present (As she was disabled and on limited income, this was what she could do)..

She died young, at 61 when I was in my teens. The rose bush died in October of the year she died and she passed about a month later. Now I am 30 and teaching my kids about roses, trying to experiment with hybridization.. and I have a spot in my yard for that rose bush- if I can find it. I had been searching- and I have come close. Dream Come True, and Tina Turner are somewhat similar- but these are recent hybrids.

Any help, even a point to the right direction would mean so much to me. Thank You!!!

Comments (7)

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

A sentimental & leaky Joe, as my Poppa would say, your nostalgia & love are so true. Could the rose you are seeking be Fragrant Delight (1978)? The peachy-colored roses were a new sensation at the time. Always drawn to those hues & fragrance, grew them in those years, as I'm sure many others here did & do. Kept all the catalogs from that time (packrats, raise your hands) as well as rose books from well before then through current. We'll identify & track your rose.

Browse through the pictures at the link below to view various stages of Fragrant Delight's budding to fading in different gardens & seasons. Autumn blooms tend to be more deeply & richly nuanced.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fragrant Delight

This post was edited by vasue on Wed, May 21, 14 at 10:43

• vettin
    9 years ago

Peace?

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Looking at photos of the two roses you mention that are strongly colored with an edging, how does Double Delight (1977) compare?

Here is a link that might be useful: Double Delight

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

A nifty tool at HelpMeFind gives lists of roses by year of introduction. Just change the year in the search box. Might begin with 1977, as some of the new releases took a year or more to reach local garden centers. If possibilities don't pop up, look further back in time, as new roses didn't disappear as quickly as they seem to today. Look through the photos of any rose to appreciate how different many roses can appear in different gardens & seasons - paying special attention to photos tagged with Autumn dates in your region.

If you find any pic with the look you remember, let us know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Search Recent Introductions by Year

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

Chicago Peace?

• apinksweater
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ah! We have a winner! Fragrant Delight! This is exactly it.

Thank you so much for all the help- I now need to find a supplier, as my local grower does not carry it, to my surpriseâ¦Its one of the best in the midwest, and alas- no luck

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Wonderful! You're welcome, happy to help. The endearing image of you & your children enjoying this rose in your garden, completing the circle of nostalgic past with unfolding present, brings a smile to my heart.

Roses Unlimited in South Carolina lists Fragrant Delight. They supply gallon plants growing on their own roots rather than grafted & are well-respected, earning a Top 5 rating at Garden Watchdog.

Fragrant Delight is an all-around winner in many ways - beautiful & generous bloom early to frost, delightful fragrance & health & won several awards at the time including the Edland fragrance medal. Thank you for reminding me of its charms! Now I'm seeking this truly delightful rose for this garden, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses Unlimited Roses A-Z

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville