Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarakinsey_gw

HELP- My roses refuse to live!!!

SaraKinsey
9 years ago

I received these roses last winter, they moved from rich country soil to my suburban sandy soil. They thrived all winter, but now they're taking a downhill turn. What can I do? I make sure they have plenty of water (but not too much) and lots of sun. I have more pictures if need be.

Comments (13)

• zack_lau z6 CT ARS Consulting Rosarian
    9 years ago

Most roses are heavy feeders and need a lot of fertilizer compared to other plants--in sandy soil they will need even more fertilizer. Ideally, you would do a soil test to find out what they need.

• SaraKinsey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a tiny compost pile going, would it be good to put that on them?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    9 years ago

Let's back up, more information is needed. Where do you live? Do you know the names of the varieties? How were they planted? Was anything added to the planting hole? How do you water? Roses like long, deep watering, not frequent, shallow watering. Have to dug down to see how far the water is going? If you try to rock the rose, does it move? What has the weather been like in your area?

• charleney
    9 years ago

compost is always good. I would work in a couple of cups of alfalfa meal or pellets around roots. Amazing stuff! Also some coffee grounds!

• mzstitch
    9 years ago

Growing roses has to be a bit of a hobby, as it's not a plant that is low maint. The rewards are big though. From your pictures I am seeing some black branches, I'm guessing you didn't do a spring pruning? I agree with Diane though, first we need more information so lets start by answering her questions. Roses need good soil, well drained, regular feeding and watering. You've come to the right place, we just need a bit more info!

• amberroses
    9 years ago

How rude of your rose to stubbornly refuse to live :) Sometimes my weak ugly roses refuse to die.

The wall is suspect. Does it face west? If you live in a hot climate and it faces west, the heat may be reflecting off the wall onto the rose. Is there a roof overhang above it? Does rain pour off the roof and drown it or does the roof hang over and block the rain? Did you bury it deeper than it was before?

Sandy soil and lack of fertilizer is not enough to cause the leaves and canes to die all at once.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

I'm with Diane here. We need a lot more info before we can really tell you what's happening. What could cause that kind of die back here in Michigan could be totally different from what might cause it in California or Texas.

• SaraKinsey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Where do you live? Fort Worth, TX
    Do you know the names of the varieties? I have no clue! They were given to me because the woman no longer liked getting pricked and deal with them...
    How were they planted? I put them in the ground as soon as I got them home.. About 2 hours after uprooting. I made sure all roots were buried.
    Was anything added to the planting hole? I put miracle grow pellets in the hole.
    How do you water? I usually give them a deep soak every 2-3 days, depending on weather.
    Have to dug down to see how far the water is going? No i haven't.. But i can!
    If you try to rock the rose, does it move? Yes, it wiggles around. Sand isn't the sturdiest...
    What has the weather been like in your area? Mostly sunny, some flash flood/thunderstorms recently.

I'm not sure what direction they're planted in, but they get about 50/50 sun to shade a day.

• SaraKinsey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Is it too late to do a Spring pruning?

• SaraKinsey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's more of the group. 8 bushes total.

• SaraKinsey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is the best looking, but it's also the littlest.

• meredith_e Z7b, Piedmont of NC, 1000' elevation
    9 years ago

Just a guess, lol, because it's still hard to know, but I think you might have some canker-dead or otherwise dead canes and I think they also got too dry recently.

It looks like they definitely need some pruning of the dead stuff, and I'd check carefully for cankers at the junctions of canes or at the bases. Or you might find holes down through the canes (I have bad borers, so that might just be me).

I don't think the major defoliation looks to be definitely related to the problem with the canes, though. It seems pretty sudden. Unless you have something weird going on with the roots (voles?), I think they probably just got too hot and dry recently. Once will do it ;)

I'd start by pruning (and checking the canes closely), and also make sure that the soil stays a little moist all the time. And look for critter holes nearby! I have voles, but I plant in wire cages now so that they can't eat the roots. That will cause very quick defoliation, but the rose will also usually pull out easily (and depressingly).

• Alana8aSC
    9 years ago

I'm not an expert, but the miracle grow in the hole when planting could cause fertilizer root burn. that should have been put on the top under mulch. I would just cut off the dead black canes , give them some mulch and keep up the deep watering, if it is fertilizer burn the deep watering should take care of it. Great of you to rescue these roses!