Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandinmyshoesoregon

Cost of Rosetone

What is up with the makers of this fertilizer? In 2 short years the price has jumped from around $16/large bag to $20. I have over 60 roses & just can't afford to use the product anymore. You can buy the ingredients dirt cheap at the feed store so I'm going to try that - mixing up my own. Shame on Espoma for getting so greedy.

Comments (12)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

Peggy, add in shipping costs. Espoma is located in NJ. It costs a lot to get products from here to Oregon, and I'll bet that's the reason for the increased price. Are there local products with the same materials available?

• sandinmyshoesoregon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Diane, out of curiosity, how much does a 20 pound bag of RoseTone cost where you are?
    Actually no, there aren't locally made products (that I have found anyway), like RoseTone. I've taken to ordering Mills Magic Mix. Great stuff with free shipping right to my door.

• mike_rivers
    11 years ago

Rosetone used to contain a good deal of synthetic fertilizer ingredients. Sometime in the past two years or so, it switched to a 100% organic formula and possibly this is the reason for the higher price. Are you sure you can get the new ingredients at your feed store?

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosetone label

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I found Walmart had it the cheapest this year. I think I paid $10.00 for the bigger bags. But check the Hollytone because it's almost identical and for some reason always cheaper.

• Terry Crawford
    11 years ago

I can get the 36-lb. bags of Plant-Tone for $25 each at my local nursery. I don't think the roses know the difference.

• sandinmyshoesoregon
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is only one place anywhere near here where I can get Rosetone, & that's a large home store similar to Lowe's. I suspect that's why the price is so high. Our Walmarts sure don't carry it. Sure wish I could get a 36lb bag for $25!!

• jeffcat
    11 years ago

Price seems to be more dependent on location although added fuel/shipping costs probably adds up. In Columbus, at Oakland Nursey, I can get the larger bag with the handle for $14.99. In the NW Ohio area, it's $18.99.

• catsrose
    11 years ago

Canned tuna went from .57 to .63 in three years. Life is like that.

• Terry Crawford
    11 years ago

Peggy, I called my local nursery (who is rather large and also is a landscaping company) and negotiated a rate with them. Never hurts to ask for their 'best price'. I also buy in bulk for the season, because I have 300 roses. I use the Plant Tone on everything...clematis, hyrangeas, etc.

• buford
    11 years ago

I've stopped using prepared fertilizer. I use alfalfa pellets ($12 for a 40 lb bag) and Black Kow ($5 for a 50 lb bag). I also use compost and shredded leaves that are free (except for my labor, of course).

• anntn6b
    11 years ago

"the price has jumped from around $16/large bag to $20"

We are frugal and have been making our own organic fertilizer forever. What we saw this spring was a doubling of ingredient costs from the Co-op. That you only had a price jump of 25% beats our nearly 50% rise.

The cost of fertilizer has made our neighbor farmers change their farming.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    11 years ago

Peggy (sorry for the delay), at a local, independent hardware store, all of the "Tones" are $15.99 for 20 lbs.