Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone plant two climbers together to grow as one??

Posted by ilovemyroses 8 Dallas TX (My Page) on
Fri, May 11, 12 at 9:12

I have a space to fill over and around a garage door, thinking of planting Cramoisi superior climbing and PARADE climbing together, four plants, one of each on either side and letting them merge into one.

Maybe this is forbidden is proper planting of roses, but, just a thought.

Almost embarrassed to ask!! :)

I just want lots of color and blooms and with what I read that CS has sparse foliage, thought P would make up the difference. Am I nuts?? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone plant two climbers together to grow as one??

Your not nuts. Give it a try. I did it in C.FL a few(?) years ago using Don Jaun. Had them planted 18" apart on a trellis on the open end of our car port. In 2 yrs it was a HUGE mass of rose bush covered in deep velvet red.

o

I've done likewise, planting Austins in complementary colors to grow together--extends the bloom time and is very pretty. Just be sure there is enough amended soil at the bottom for everybody to spread out roots in.

o

Oh yes, absolutely, I have roses grouped all over the property. One of the pleasures for me is planning the combinations of colors, blooms, and shapes the cultivars will attain when they're mature.

Many are placed to merge as freestanding hedges bordering beds, or to grow up trees together, such as Reve d'Or and The Bishop. I've also paired roses on arbors and tripods: Climbing Maman Cochet with Summer Wine, Viking Queen with Honorine de Brabant, Harlekin + Parade + Mme. Gregoire Staechelin +Aloha, etc. Hybrid musks are grouped in partially shaded areas, such Darlow's Enigma + Marjorie Fair + Nur Majal next to a patio so we can enjoy the fragrance.

So go for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here