Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does fish emulsion go bad?

Posted by zaphod42 SE WI 5b (My Page) on
Wed, May 22, 13 at 9:13

Found a bottle shoved to the back while cleaning out the garage. Probably two to three years old. Didn't see an expiration date and its never been opened. Does this type of product go bad?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does fish emulsion go bad?

It was already rotted when you bought it. The same nutrients are still in the bottle.

o

Don't open it indoors, but otherwise, outside, it's still good.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Wed, May 22, 13 at 13:22

How on earth would you know if it was no good? Does it smell better when it goes bad, lol?

o

It is probably better. Because it takes so little it usually takes me 2 to 3 yrs to use it up. It is still working good.

o

I'm with you, Seil - when I read this post title I had images of tiny fish with dark glasses and machine guns going "bad" (like the Far Side cartoon of "Condiments gone bad").

Otherwise, I think fish emulsion is like compost - it can't rot enough to be bad for your garden, but do shake it up to distribute the material that sinks to the bottom of the bottle.

Cynthia

o

I'm with Seil...how could you tell??

o

Massaging fish emulsion into your scalp adds body and brilliance to your hair. Plus, it's all natural and packed with Omega 3 goodness! Recommended by Howard Garrett!

o

• Posted by jim1961 5/6 Central Pa (My Page) on
    Wed, May 22, 13 at 16:34

Dude you smell like dead fish...lol
But no more split-ends...

Imagine an aged alfalfa tea scalp wash... yeeeee

o

That sounds like something Howard Garrett might say. His theories used to make Field Roebuck sooo mad.

I'll go out on a limb here and say fish emulsion doesn't go bad. I did dilute down a jug because it kind of thickened up after a few years and I thought it might be a little too concentrated. Mary

o

Thanks everyone, I needed this laugh today!

No, it does get thick like Tuggy3 said, I also just dilute and keep moving.

o

Fish emulsion is born bad.

o

I was reading about using fish emulsion as some kind of "cide" on citrus trees. I have a bunch to do and hope to use the hose end sprayer to "fish wash" the trees.

I know the dogs, cats, etc will LOVE me when I am done....Wonder how many showers it will take to remove the scent?

And yes.....would you know if it was "bad" and not just bad....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here