Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a Peace rose be red?

Posted by casi 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 9:15

I purchased a "Peace Rose" from Michigan Bulb in 2007. I remember posting somewhere on the web site that I had done so and was at first told that it probably wouldn't bloom the first year, which it didn't. The next year I was told that I got ripped and that Michigan Bulb was one of the worst nurseries because the Peace Rose really didn't belong in zone 5 unless I tried to give it some winter protection. I was going to dig it up and send it South with my daughter but never got around to it. I didn't worry when my goats did a little trimming on it over the winter. But, to my surprize, since we had such a mild mild winter it got buds on it, tons of them. I have been away from home for a few days and to when I got home it was all opened up and it is RED. What a disappointment. Would love to hear what you all have to say!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a Peace rose be red?

It sounds like the Peace rose died and the rootstock, Dr Huey, took over and grew. Its a pretty rose, blooms once and is prone to all types of viruses.

o
RE: Can a Peace rose be red?

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Mon, May 7, 12 at 12:28

It probably is the root stock but if it does rebloom later on in the season then it's something else and may just have been mislabeled.

Please, don't let people convince you that you can't grow HTs in Michigan. It's not true.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here