Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

My last rose to ID (photo) - yellow floribunda?

harmonyp
11 years ago

Last rose I have needing an ID. Very prolific, very disease resistent. Was the only non-mini on the property when we arrived. About 3' x 3'. No detectable fragrance.

Small, deep yellow blooms

{{gwi:265772}}

Lighter shade once blooms age

{{gwi:265773}}

Comments (10)

• michaelg
    11 years ago

Sun Flare?

• harmonyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Don't think it's Sun Flare. Sun Flare has larger blooms, and a fragrance. In the Rose Gallery I just looked up a post by Kathy9norcal called: Living in the land of minis. The one she labels "Just a grocery store mini, a pure yellow I love " looks just like this one. Although this is 3'x3', I've been suspicious of it being an overgrown mini as there were two other mini's here (the only roses on the property), and I'll bet all were grocery story Mother's Day presents...

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Julia Child, maybe?

• harmonyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nope. Have a Julia Child, and JC's blooms are easily twice the size of these, and do have some fragrance. I've never detected the slightest hint of fragrance from this guy. These blooms have an actual size of a little over 1", and that's it. I rechecked bush size and although it has gotten to about 3' tall, it is quite a bit more narrow in width.

• nastarana
    11 years ago

It is not Sunflare.

The growth habit looks a little like my Golden Rain, but the flowers seem more double.

Could it be Sunsprite? I think Sunflare is a seedling of Sunsprite, which would account for the similarity in foliage between the two. Sunsprite was sold throughout the USA for at least a decade after its' introduction.

• harmonyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have Sunsprite too. Very fragrant, and blooms 3x the size of this one's.

• tapdogly
    11 years ago

Definitely not Sunsprite or JC. I grow both, and they are both very fragrant, and have flowers far larger than this rose. (Size aside, the shape and color of the flower do look like Sunsprite.) Also, once established, Sunsprite should be a lot of taller than this one. My second year, grafted Sunsprite is about 4' or 5' tall now.

Sequoia God, Y2K or rise & shine?

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

OK, I didn't realize it was a mini.

It's not Rise n Shine because the petals reflex into that star shape as they age on that one.

And I don't think it's Y2K because that one can get a pink blush on the petal edges.

It might be Sequoia Gold but it's hard to say.

• harmonyp
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yeah - mini or non-mini - that's still up in the air. I have this gut feeling I'm going to end up having to call it Yellow Mini (?) forever, as the only few photos I've seen on the internet where the blooms look alike are labeled Yellow Mini. I looked up Rise N Shine, Y2K and Sequoia Gold, and alas - blooms don't look like any of them. The closest named rose I think I've seen is Lemon Drop - the new blooms look very very similar, but the aged blooms do not. It's aged blooms look exactly as they do in the 2nd picture - you never see the stamens before the pedals blow. And the pedals stay on a really really really lone time (up to a month). I do know this search has given me the opportunity to look at lots of gorgeous minis that I wouldn't otherwise have seen...

• nastarana
    11 years ago

It could yet turn into Sunsprite given water and fertilizing. If it has been neglected for several seasons, it might not be able to put out large blooms.

If it was a grocery store mini, it would not have come from Sequoia. Might be from Paulsen, in Denmark. I think that is where Trader Joe's minis come from.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022