Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Autumn Sunblaze Miniature Rose

Posted by jazzmom516 Zone 7 LI, NY (My Page) on
Tue, May 13, 14 at 10:00

Originally posted in Miniature Roses section w/o any responses so reposting in Roses section.

Home Depot has a few of the 'Sunblaze' series in containers right now and I purchased 'Autumn Sunblaze'. I read that this series is 'disease resistant' and am wondering how does this perform in your garden? Mine is on the edge of the rose garden due to it being a miniature and it gets over 6 hrs of sun daily. The soil is mulched with cedar mulch.
Does the color of the rose fade with the heat of the sun? The one I bought is loaded with buds soon to open.
Thanks in advance for your responses.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Autumn Sunblaze Miniature Rose

I don't have the one you bought but I have had other Sunblazes. I think that you will have answers to your questions pretty quickly as your mini grows and blooms. Every climate is different and what does poorly for me does wonderfully for someone else. Hope you will post some pictures of it on the gallery. I love to see good minis.

o

hi jazz,

I don't have that one (but I am going to go to home depot this weekend and see if we have them at our location!) but I did do some research and found this on Autumn Sunblaze:

An improved 'Orange Sunblaze'. The bloom is a brighter orange that does not fade. Out performs many garden and pot rose varieties. The bloom and foliage persist through hot, dry summer months.

I absolutely love mini roses. Good luck! I hope the blooms stay true in color like it says. :)

o

I saw the same research over it being an 'improved' Orange Sunblaze. To me that means more disease resistance to blackspot.
Miniatures generally have problems with blackspot because of the fungal spores splashing upward onto their leaves during rainfall or watering. Because miniatures are closer to the ground size wise vs. other types of roses, they can get fungal diseases sooner than say a floribunda or a hybrid tea (that would be with leaves further up their canes.)

o

Interesting I haven't had any problems with mine getting black spot even when my blaze got it last summer! Makes sense though.

I just noticed that in that description it mentioned the blooms don't fade.

Good luck!

o

I wouldn't make a blanket statement that minis are more prone to blackspot. Where I live even very disease resistent roses get blackspot, like my Julia child Floribunda which is so disease resistent for others. I have two potted minis that I do not normally spray that don't get blackspot at all. One of my mini's is orange and the blooms do fade on it, but I don't think it's due to the sun as much as it's just the way the bloom declines as it ages. My mini is in part shade. Post a picture for us when it blooms, I'd love to see it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here