Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nuguy2

Don Juan Climbing Rose

nuguy
10 years ago

Just recently planted a Don Juan ( Dewar) climbing rose a few weeks back. It had a lot of blooms when selected and planted. As time progressed a few buds came along and soon withered. They exhibited a brown stem behind the bud and looked sickly. I am trying to nourish this on a trellis and it doesn't seem to be working. Dewar folks said to cut it back at least 8 inches on each stem and see if it sprouts new growth in 8-10 days. I put a slow release fertilizer around it at planting, could this be the problem? The sun is on the plant for about 6 hours/day. Opinions please. Thanks.

Comments (9)

• kingcobbtx7b
    10 years ago

wish I could be of more help. But my Don Juan has been pretty low mantenance. Seems a bit long for it to be planting shock.... It could be the ferts, but I doubt it as a lot of people tend to advise a slow release fert at planting. Are the canes themselves dying back or was it just the buds? Weather could have possibly done it. I occassionally have some black stems on my 5 year planted don juan, but that is usually after the bloom not before.

• nuguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The stem below the new buds were turning brown with the buds withering. The original blooms looked okay and lasted for a couple of weeks, then new growth came and withered. Not too much new growth though. We have terrible soil here, red soil. Puzzled.

• Thorntorn
    10 years ago

Could you post a few pics of the damage? They may help identify the problem.

Until then, guessing leads me to suspect:

1. Rose Midge Fly damage
    2. Fertilizer burn
    3. Sunburn/windburn
    4. Aphid colony on that spot at one time, gone now, but evidence left behind

• michaelg
    10 years ago

I haven't heard of rose midge being reported in SC or in the Southeast.

Some rose varieties will periodically abort some of the flower buds, but I don't think DJ is one of them.

This is an unusual symptom with no obvious explanation. I would just wait and see if it continues after the rose is well established.

Soils of mostly clay are fine for roses unless there is a drainage problem. Raising the planting area several inches above the surround can help a lot. Clay should be amended with a few inches of manure or other organic matter. Piedmont clays are poor in nutrients and often can use additions of dolomite lime and phosphate. However, it's a good idea to get a soil test from the county extension service before adding stuff.

I'm not saying the above considerations have anything to do with the aborted flower buds, though.

• emese
    10 years ago

I just bought Don Juan this year. Big fat buds that seem to burn as the edges seem rather crisp, so I moved it into a slightly shady area, now the buds ball. After reading all the rave reviews I wonder if it really is Don Juan as apart from all the healthy new growth and many small buds, they are just not opening. Does anyone have any suggestions for me to deal with this?

• susan4952
    10 years ago

My advice....keep trying. When u get a good plant, it is a great rose.

• catsrose
    10 years ago

It seems to take DJ a while to get established. I'm with Ann--give it time. Do be careful of watering, tho. Clay can have drainage problems. Another thig to check is that there are no air pockets. Stick a couple of fingers in deep. The soil should be firm. Often, when bareroots get planted by nurseries, the soil is too loose. When it settles, it leaves air pockets.

• gardenheat
    10 years ago

Don't give up. Don Juan is a vigorous climber that produces an abundance of deep red roses. I grow two in full sun in Las Vegas. These plants receive sun from the a.m. Until about 4 p.m. .. It has been over 100 degrees for two weeks or more and the 90s before that. My first blooms were in early April and the bushes have not been absent roses since then. Anything that does well in this heat... Should survive moderate temperatures in other places barring winter damage....Good Luck! I hope you get to the bottom of it.