Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
capeheart

Best Landscape White?

CapeHeart
11 years ago

Best experience with a white rose that lasted until frost? Just looking for prolific color to highlight garden beds. Would it be Iceberg?

Comments (9)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Iceberg is probably your best bet. Although I was mighty tempted by a pretty White Licorice at the nursery this spring! But I don't know about how much it will bloom or how it would winter because it's newer.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

How much space do you have?

I've never seen an unsprayed Iceberg with flowers and leaves at the same time. The normal thing is it leafs out, the leaves blackspot and fall off, then the flowers bloom and the whole thing repeats. Seafoam is an excellent white landscaping rose, but it gets big. Same is true of the various white Meidillands out there. Then there are white rugosas.

• ilovemyroses
    11 years ago

a great low growing white is GREEN ICE. blooms all the time, and good with varying light/shade. i second ICEBERG, just thought i'd throw this low growing one in the mix, as i love it and have several of both. for landscaper versus speciman purposes.

• jerijen
    11 years ago

In Southern California, it's Iceberg -- but as wonderful as it is HERE, I think it does have disease problems elsewhere.

Rugosas, OTOH, really struggle in Southern California, but are said to be bulletproof in New England. So, if it were me, I'd probably try R. rugosa alba.

Jeri

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

Should be "best landscape white for zone 6?" 'Iceberg' is a disaster in most places other than Southern California.

Besides white rugosas, you might see if the Kordes roses e.g. 'Lion's Fairy Tale' do well in zone 6 MA, which is a challenging climate for roses.

• User
    11 years ago

a much smaller rose, which still has the same airy delicacy as Iceberg, its prolific bloom cycles and very good BS rersistance, Poulsen's 'Kent', one of the 'County' series of procumbent roses, is an excellent little landscaping rose.

• the_morden_man
    11 years ago

'Escimo' or 'Brilliant Vigorosa'

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

If you like the look of classic HT bloom, try either Memoire (also known as Ice Cream) or Tineke. Both are good whites and very disease resistant, not very tall for a HT--maybe 2.5-3 ft tall. Tineke is particularly known for long-lasting blooms. Memoire is moderately fragrant, Tineke less so. The blooms of Tineke are especially beautiful--it's a florist rose that grows fine in the garden.

Kate

• CapeHeart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello All!

Many Thanks for all of the suggestions - time to look them up - for now getting some Iceberg to try. It will be trial and error I think to find which was is the best. I had Seafoam in the past will try that again too. The others that were mentioned I will look and see how well they grow here on the Cape. I may try a HT too as I love them but some times they just don't grow well, especially the whites. Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to help me out! Very Much appreciated!

Chantel :)