Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovemysheltie

When should I plant this rose?

lovemysheltie
11 years ago

Hi guys, I could use some advice... I usually purchase own-root gallons from mail-order nurseries or 2.5/5 gallon grafted roses from local nurseries in Chicago. Most of my roses come from my favorite nursery Anton's, which sells super healthy, vigorous growers like my pot of Gold Medal on the right.

{{gwi:266358}}

{{gwi:266359}}

{{gwi:266360}}

However, my favorite nurseries didn't have DD this year and I had to go buy it from an overpriced nursery I'm not hugely fond of :P My question is: when do I plant the Double Delight 2.5 gallon on the left? It has decent leaves and fat canes but not much height up top. Should I leave it potted for a fortnight and then plant or go ahead and plant right now?

Also, I should mention that I plant grafted roses deep (bury the bud union deep) so if I do that with DD, I won't see anything above the ground :-( Help pls? Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

I would say to plant it at the same time you plant that beautiful Gold Medal. But I'm not sure you'd want to plant all the green leaf below the soil level so I don't know what to say. It looks like you only have about 6 to 8 inches of cane there and all the new growth is at the very bottom. You may want to keep it potted for a while until you get more top growth. However, in your zone you also want to get it established in the ground as soon as possible because your season is short. It's a good question! I hope maybe someone else will have a better idea.

• karl_bapst_rosenut
    11 years ago

If you plant the bud union deep, plant as usual but leave a depression around the bush so the canes are exposed. I presume you do that for winter protection? as the canes grow taller, you can fill in the depression. You'll have all summer to do it.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

See, I knew someone would have a better idea! Thanks Karl!

• lovemysheltie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Karl! That sounds like the perfect solution! :D