Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thejackll

Rose Pest Identification

thejackll
11 years ago

Hi - I think leaf rollers have infested one of my roses, but none of the pictures I find look quite like what are on my plant.

These are larvae / caterpillers.

-stretched full length they are 1/2 to 3/4 inch long

-color is light green with a reddish dorsal stripe

-they perch with their waste extruding end on the stem below a rose bud, and their consuming end just above the base of the bud

-they chew a hole in the bud, sometimes multiple holes

-a black drop of waste oozes out the hind end

-many of them have formed webbing around the leaves next to the bud - it does not quite form a cocoon, the worms are visible through the webbing, and little black crumbs of what I presume is wast accumulates on the outside

I only noticed them on the buds today - and I've been watching this bush for the last week fairly closely waiting for it to bloom. I did not catch them hatching from anywhere, so do not know if they came from the soil or the canes or the leaves.

I would like to identify them so I can use a preventative spray of some kind. I got rid of all I could see by cutting off the buds and sealing all of them up in plastic. These worms are only on this rose bush, I have about 6 total that are leafed/budded out to the same extent but see no worms on those.

Thanks in advance.

Jackie

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH