Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hrose_gw

Cut down rose with the most black spot ( picture)

Hrose
11 years ago

i cut down the rose with the most black spot i'm going to dig it out soon and remove it completely i would rater have no roses then to have to put up with black spots

I'm starting to see tiny orange spots too what are these? black spots cousins ?

How can i upload more then one picture it only lets me upload one pic

Comments (52)

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

what about Sulphur Dust? has anyone tired this before?

Controls and prevents black spot, rust, leaf spot and powdery mildew on roses. Multipurpose - can be used on fruits, flowers, vegetables, flowering plants and ornamentals

Just sprinkle on plants
    Multi-functional

• rosetom
    11 years ago

Well, that's an interesting tactic to fight disease - just cut them out.

You won't be growing roses for much longer.

• charleney
    11 years ago

Maybe see if you can get it shipped from one of the Bayer sites. It is not at all expensive when you only use 1 1/2 tablespoons per gallon. Sulfur is a good idea too, but don't think it will last as long with rain. Anyway the healthy leaves on your roses look like it is pushing out some new leaves. Remove the bs leaves and give it a dose of spray or sulfur. I do mine every week for 3 weeks and then watch to see if it reoccurs. Remember once you have that much bs...those leaves will only get worse and are pretty much gone, when you see it. After spraying the leaves seem to get worse, but never fear they will clean up well. Good Luck!

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks rose-tom that comes as a relief

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks charleney

• User
    11 years ago

Just buy a 'Knockout' and call it done. Or just give up now, its your call.

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

actually the double knockout looks alright but then again that one probably gets black spots thats the thing about roses the pretty ones are hard to take care of the ugly ones are not

• User
    11 years ago

I agree, but if you want disease-free roses for your climate.......

• User
    11 years ago

What Tom said.

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

yeah trospero i'd be saying the same if i lived in zone 7 or 8

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Good grief! So they get spots now and then, big deal. Are the blooms any less beautiful or fragrant. I think not! Give up trying to be a perfectionist control freak and learn to live with some spots. You'll enjoy your roses a lot more!

BTW, the orange spots are probably rust which is another fungal disease.

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

The Greater Toronto Rose & Garden Society web page is at:

http://www.gardenontario.org/site.php/rosegarden

A quote from their newsletter.
    "Rose Varieties

There are thousands of roses to choose from and some are easier to grow and more disease resistant than others. Here are just a few of our members suggestions;

Polyanthas: The Fairy, Red Fairy, Katherina Zeimet

Shrub roses: Bonica, Ballerina, Henry Kelsey, Knock Out, Mordon Sunrise, Morden Blush, Lambert Close, Hope for Humanity, Golden Wings.

Rugosas: Henry Hudson, Jens Munk, Henry Kelsey, John Davis

Austin Roses: L.D. Braithwaite, Mary Rose, Abraham Darby, Graham Thomas, Brother Cadfael, Othello, Winchester Cathedral, Hyde Hall

Hybrid Teas: Savoy Hotel, Double Delight, Touch of Class, Memorial Day, Blue Moon, Julia Child, Fragrant Cloud, Elina, Pristine

Floribundas: Honey Perfume, Iceburg, Sexy Rexy, Tabris, Burning Glow, Intrigue, Margaret Merril, Playboy, Snowdance.

Climbers: New Dawn, Blaze, Swan Lake, Galway Bay, Fourth of July, Dortmund, Golden Showers, Aloha

Miniature: Jeanne Lajoie, Green Ice, Mountie, Amber Glow

Old Roses: Henry Martin, R. verdiflora, Fantine la tour, Rosa Mundi, Tuscany Superb."

Here is a link that might be useful: Greater Toronto Rose & Garden Society

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Maybe rather than roses, you should look in to native plants for your area.

Roses seem to come with good and bad, guess you have to balance your vision with your areas reality. Magazine perfect might not be a reality unless you bend your vision.

Canada seems to allow less chemical fixes, it seems to me-as a newbie, that there are pretty much two camps. Those that love Bayer products and those that wouldn't touch them. You don't have that option, you can't buy them.

Frankly, a bit of rust, a few slug holes and a couple of black spots would not cause me to grab the shovel and dig up an otherwise happy blooming rose. (it will cause me to come here and ask for help on earth friendly rust products though...)

• User
    11 years ago

"Hybrid Teas: Savoy Hotel, Double Delight, Touch of Class, Memorial Day, Blue Moon, Julia Child, Fragrant Cloud, Elina, Pristine"

Any list that includes 'Double Delight' on a list of roses deemed to be "easier to grow and more disease resistant" cannot be taken too seriously, IMO. I mean, come on....'Double Delight'?? (Neither 'Fragrant Cloud' nor 'Blue Moon' are any better, in my experience)

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Am I just too lax? This year is my first year for blackspot as well as rust. I look at what you are cutting and think - hey that's not bad - if it were mine I'd just leave it as is - I'm not cutting or spraying mine. They seem to be working it out on their own just fine... and I know mother nature has been doing this a long longer than I have...

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

Paul, your growing conditions and strains of fungus can be very different than found in pesticide free Toronto. i.e. your use of chemical sprays can be the cause of you having diseased roses that "could be" relatively disease free if grown in a "natural" environment.

"Double Delight rose an excellent flowerbed plant that also looks lovely planted in a mixed border.

It has good disease resistance, except for cool damp climates, where it is susceptible to powdery mildew.

Be prepared to apply preventative sprays if this problem is common in your garden.

It does beautifully everywhere else."

Here is a link that might be useful: link for quote above

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Double Delight rose looks nice but i like red roses better anyone knows any place in Toronto i could buy disease resistant roses from? all the big stores like home-depot and lowes have random roses

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

harmonyp i don't think mother nature grows roses where i am growing them Toronto

• harmonyp
    11 years ago

Touche' Hrose ;)

• saldut
    11 years ago

That really doesn't look like BS to me, I'm no expert on the diseases but do have lots of experience w/BS here in humid central Fla., I have lots of BS in my no-spray garden but would never SP a rose for the little bit of whatever the problem is, that you show in your pics... I have several Double Delight and they get lots of BS, but I plant something smaller in front of them so the bare-knees are not visible, Blue Salvia does a good job and works well w/DD.... one cannot be a 'perfectionist' when growing roses, it just doesn't happen! sally

• buford
    11 years ago

"Double Delight rose an excellent flowerbed plant that also looks lovely planted in a mixed border.

It has good disease resistance, except for cool damp climates, where it is susceptible to powdery mildew.

=================

Thanks for a good laugh henry.

• mike_rivers
    11 years ago

Hrose, as near as I can make out, most, maybe all, of your photos are of leaves infected with rose cercospora rather than rose blackspot. Not that cercospora is more attractive but in my zone 5 garden, cercospora tends to infect a few roses early in the Spring and then disappear for
    the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Cercospora

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

It honestly looks like a very mild case of fungus (blackspot, rust or whatever), probably brought on by weather conditions (too many cloudy days? too much rain?). I wouldn't be too bothered by it. The leaves will clear up when the weather does.

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i decided not to pull out the plant it should grow just as big as it was by fall even tho my roses (HTs) 7 of them now are crowded only about a feet apart but in a place where they get full sun for 11 hrs on a sunny day and plenty of air circulation

thanks everyone i will post pictures of the blooms in about a week or two

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

mike rivers you may be right it could be rose cercospora but i'm sure i saw some black spot too

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

brittie yeah i'll leave them alone for now but i'm still going apply some sulpher dust

• jerijen
    11 years ago

I've said this before, but I'll repeat it.

It's easier, and better in the long run, to select roses that are resistant to the diseases common in your area.

You mentioned buying 'Brandy,' for instance. Did you read the information on 'Brandy' in HelpMeFind?

It reads (in part):

"USDA zone 7b and warmer. Can be used for cut flower or garden. Vigorous. heat tolerant. Disease susceptibility: disease resistant, susceptible to blackspot . . . "

Now, if you are in Canada, I'm suspecting you may not be in a "USDA zone 7b or warmer . . ."
    Also note: ". . susceptible to blackspot."

'Brandy' acts in many ways like a Pernetiana rose. I would not expect it to be blackspot resistant, and I would not expect it to be cold-hardy. It is a lovely, lovely thing in CA, but I'm not sure it's well-suited to Canada. There are some really beautiful roses, though, that were bred for Canadian conditions, those might be better choices for you.

And, FWIW, the use of many garden chemicals is forbidden by law in Canada -- which is perhaps the reason you cannot buy them there.

Jeri

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

brandy is really beautiful so i'll take my chances i only have one i have erotica's that are meant for zone 7 and higher but survived the winter with minimal stem damage almost no damage on all three i didnt even cut back 3/4 feet long stems

i bought these two fungicides from home-depot i will spray mostly in spring and fall

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

jerijen to be honest i dont want to dig out the roses i have now and replace them its too much work i know it will be better in the long run but i need to take a break for now i will think about it some other time

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

these are the roses i have so far Oklahoma,Brandy, Summer sunshine,Erotica, Gold star climber and Ilse krohn superior climber i'm guessing none of these are disease resistant?

i have two other red HTs but i don't know their names i lost the tags

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

oh and pink showers climber

• windeaux
    11 years ago

While you're taking your break, Hrose, think long and hard about your gardening goals. When you said that aspects of rose gardening are "too much work", you stated the sentiments of the vast majority. The minority who are truly "into" roses, acknowledge the frustrations, but simply keep on keeping on attempting to provide our plants the best care we can. Frankly, I've no patience with anyone who loses name tags. How are you to properly care for a plant variety if you don't know what it is?

Perhaps non-flowering shrubs would work well for you. Combining various textures, shades of green, growth habits can make for a lovely, relatively hassle-free garden space. To break any monotony, you might intersperse a few annuals. The possibilities for gardening WITHOUT roses are limitless.

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another rose i forgot to mention Tropicana HT

windeaux thanks but im not planting shrubs evergreen shrubs are all over the place here if not for roses i wouldnt be gardening at all

can somebody point out which of my roses are disease resistant and which are not

• buford
    11 years ago

No, no one can do that unless they live next door to you and grow that rose. The disease resistance is subjective to area and even individual placement in the yard. Most HTs are not disease resistant, which is why people are trying to steer you to other types of roses.

No rose is every going to always be spot free with no yellow leaves. That is just they way they are. They are not carefree, if you always want them to look perfect, you are either going to spend a lot of time fussing over them or be disappointed.

• cupshaped_roses
    11 years ago

HRose

Your roses clearly show Rose Rust in stage 1 (the orange spots), stage 2 - yellowing and even stage 3) formation of little black spots - not to be confused with BS.

Every gardener can and dare I say should? grow beautiful fragrant roses! I enjoy very few things in my life more than roses and have my days filled with their beauty and I am high on rose perfume and happiness. And neighbours, guests and people who walk by are astounded how well my roses are doing and performing.

I can give you a list of roses that are doing exceptionally well for me - but it may not help you much.

Like Jeri writes - Study! Study all the gardens nearby and see what roses you like and check the plants for years to see how they are doing - and ask gardeners growing them for advice - join a local rose society and see their gardens - nothing can replace local knowledge and experience!

Certain roses that are doing well in some areas of the world may perform badly for YOU in your garden. But no one should be deterred from growing great roses.

Some of my roses get a little rust - I watch these roses like a hawk - and inspect them daily and remove every leaf with orange spots - and I spray them a few times during the summer. But if they keep getting rust and I should spray more - I get rid of these roses. I will not spray more than once or twice or month. And out of maybe 150 different roses I grow - only about 15 cultivars needs spraying - and I will let them go if they keep needing spraying. Other gardeners will choose to spray more - that is their choice - but as much as I like my roses to be peak performers and look immaculate - and I have smitten the entire neighbourhood with my love for roses - that are much admired - I will let cultivars that needs more spraying than I am willing to do - go from my garden (and no - I do not give them to my neighbours - so the rust spores can come drifting with the wind back into my garden. I have given them 3-5 years to prove themselves and if they are RUST or Black spot magnets - they have got to go.

I hope you will find good roses over the years that will do well for you and will bring you much joy and happiness. There are so many good roses - that I am sure you can find some that will do great in your garden too!

• User
    11 years ago

"can somebody point out which of my roses are disease resistant and which are not "

Pretty much none of them. I have yet to meet a single Hybrid Tea that didn't get Blackspot, in any climate.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

hrose, make life simple.

Quit focusing on hybrid teas. They will get diseases.

Instead, try a floribunda like Eutin. I don't remember if you ever told us what zone you are in (it should be listed next to your name where you put the word "none"), but Eutin is cold-hardy through Zone 4--so it is very cold hardy. It also is very disease resistant, as long as you plant it in full sun. It is a heavy cluster-bloomer (red), although between bloom cycles, it will go for a number of weeks without any blooms. Quite showy when in bloom.

In the meantime, take a few minutes in front of each of your current roses and pluck off the yellow leaves and dispose of them in a plastic bag. There--now that the yellow leaves are gone, doesn't the rose look better? See how easy it is to deal with yellow leaves?

Keep life simple.

Kate

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    11 years ago

I think it's hard to tell how disease resistant a rose in your garden is going to be until you've had it for a while. Some roses get diseases like blackspot as babies, but then seem to grow out of it when a few years older. I don't know about all of your roses, but I suspect that Brandy may be the most disease prone. I wouldn't look at her cross-eyed just yet though. Give her some time and see what she does. Enjoy the flowers they all make and relax. Gardening is FUN! :)

• henry_kuska
    11 years ago

The Pickering web site allows one to check "very disease resistant" and "hybrid tea" when one searches their site. Doing so produced 16 hits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickering search page

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you for the input everyone

Marilyn Monroe vs Brnady which is more disease resistant its hard to believe Brandy is so prone to disease its got thick dark green leaves thicker and greener then all my other roses

• rinaldo
    11 years ago

Grow gallicas, a lot of them. They don't repeat, of course, but in a cool climate the blooms can last a good while and you can stretch the season out with early and late ones.

• petaloid
    11 years ago

You may want to check out the Greater Toronto Rose and Garden Society. They meet at the Toronto Botanical Garden.

http://www.gardenontario.org/site.php/rosegarden

I'm pretty sure you can get even more good advice at meetings, appropriate to your local growing conditions. Looks like they even have a rose show coming up.

I'll put a link below to rose varieties some Toronto folks have grown successfully. You can check HelpMeFind.com for specifics and photos of each.

Here is a link that might be useful: rose suggestions for Toronto

• petaloid
    11 years ago

That's what I get for not reading carefully -- looks like Henry already posted the rose suggestion list for Toronto. (oops!)

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Petaloid,

I posted a link to the garden society too........

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i think i have an idea what if one were to plant grass around the rose and leave no exposed soil cover it all with grass would this prevent black spot? i wonder if anyone has tried this before...

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    11 years ago

leave no exposed soil cover it all with grass would this prevent black spot?

No. The BS spores will float through the air and attach to foliage without need to go to ground. The grass will increase humidity through respiration, and humidity encourages fungal diseases.

Either tolerate some spots on your rose foliage, or don't grow roses. There are literally hundreds of thousands of different beautiful plants you can grow in your garden. No one has to grow roses--there are plenty of other genera to try and enjoy.

• Hrose
    Original Author
    11 years ago

i have another idea i wont spray each leave takes too much time and wastes my mix i will fill a cup with my water and some Sulphur dust (not sure how much can anyone tell me) and dip each set of leaves into the cup for about 2 secs and move on to the next set of leaves

• spiderlily7
    11 years ago

We all feel our way into the roses that please us so much, we'll take extra effort to cultivate them--or decide to grow ones that take next to no care. And starting out, it's so easy to be entranced by a rose's beauty we'll acquire it even as we're still learning the basics. Lo these many years ago, I was living on a mountaintop with winter wind chill that in effect created Zone 3 growing conditions. We're talking Canada here. And what did I choose as my very first rose? A Lady Banks Yellow, which of course promptly perished the first winter since she grows and survives only in warm climates. But that inspired me to start learning everything I could about roses. And the story's always good for a laugh when I'm talking to other rose people!

• dara_gardener-Vancouver Island, Z8
    4 years ago

I'm very late coming to this discussion. It is now May 2019. I live in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, zone 8. I grow an extensive collection of roses, all of which are no spray. If any of my plants show enough black spot to defoliate the plant, or rust for that matter, they are shovel pruned without hesitation. However that doesn't stop me having an entire yard of roses. For Toronto consider the Canadian bred roses grown on their own roots. They are all wonderful plants. 'Campfire' is outstanding. I also have great success with 'Violet's Pride' and 'Edith's Darling' from the Downton Abby series. An outstanding rose is 'Julia Child'. This yellow rose is in it's second year in my garden. Already a very sturdy plant with no disease problems at all. So the point is, don't stop growing roses. Grow roses with superior genetics. Also make sure you have good growing conditions. That means soil that is friable and water retentive, but not water logged. I use a combination of steer manure and peat moss mixed together to create excellent soil. When watering, don't wet foliage if possible. Water the root area. Make sure your roses are getting enough sunlight.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH