Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light Green Bugs on Distant Drums Rose Bush???

Posted by lindama MA z5 (My Page) on
Sat, May 12, 12 at 10:32

Can somebody please tell me what those light/lime green looking bugs are on the leaves and buds of my Rose Bush? It looks like lint and I'm concerned that they may do damage to my rose bush. So far it looks pretty healthy and I just started noticing these bugs last evening, they were on the backs of a couple of the leaves and on a couple of the buds. I tried scraping them off but I'm sure that there is another way of eradicating them. Would soap and water help?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can give me.

Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light Green Bugs on Distant Drums Rose Bush???

Aphids. Squish them or get a hose (or water bottle) with a strong spray and wash them off. They nibble a bit and cause some minor damage, but no need for any heavy duty insecticides.

o

It's probably aphids, which do very little damage. Wiping them off twice a week where they are thick will prevent any damage. Or you can spray with 1 TSP dish soap/ QT. They will retreat from mature buds and foliage as it develops, and predatory insects will eat them. Early the spring flush of growth is the peak time for aphids.

o

Thank you for your replies. I thought that was what they were but just wanted to be sure.

Linda

o

After the initial attack, the roses's immune system will make the rose less appealing to the aphids.

-------------------------------------
Title: DYNAMIC ASPECTS OF THE CHEMICAL RELATION BETWEEN THE ROSE APHID MACROSIPHUM-ROSAE AND ROSE BUDS
Author: MILES P W

Author affiliation: WAITE AGRIC. RES. INST., UNIV. ADELAIDE, ADELAIDE, S. AUST.

Published in: Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata, volumn 37, pages 129-136, (1985).

Abstract: "Dynamic aspects of the chemical relation between the rose aphid [Macrosiphum rosae] and rose buds.In warm weather, M. rosae (L.) walks off buds of hybrid tea roses during a critical period coinciding with the opening of the sepals. This behavior could not be related to histologically detectable barriers to feeding, nor to changes in the water content of the tissues or in their composition with respect to total soluble carbohydrate, amino nitrogen or phenolic compounds; major changes in tissue chemistry, effected by spraying the bushes with urea, did not affect the time at which the aphids left the buds. Tissue sap expressed from stems and sepals showed a significant increase in catechin content after, rather than during, the critical period. Once expressed, however, sap from buds at the critical stage showed a sharp in vitro rise in catechin content over a few hours, up to levels approximating those against which the insects discriminated in choice tests. The insects could well be sensitive to a developing capacity of tissue to accumulated catechin, possibly in response to their feeding activity."

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here