Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the culprit?

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 14 at 11:07

I was happy to see a healthy new basal shoot on my Altissimo climber, until one day I went out and saw that this had happened to it:
Damaged Cane photo gardenpics020.jpg

What kind of pest does this? I'd noticed a couple of cut off basal shoots on other roses that had more robust growth so I didn't pay as much attention. Although the ones I saw before looked more like they had just been cut off, not hollowed out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the culprit?

Wind? Accidental foot traffic? Those new basals are so dang tender. Maybe critters rustling through your roses?
A rabbit would've eaten it...
Susan

o

Squirrels have done this in my yard. Rabbits or deer too, or a stray cat or dog.

o

Hmm, I think the picture doesn't really show the damage well enough. It wasn't broken or bent, something ate the center out of the cane. I cut the shoot off with my pruners because I was worried whatever ate out the pith might still be in there working it's way further down, but after cutting it off I didn't see anything. I think it must be some kind of boring insect, but I've never seen 'rose borer' damage before so I came here for independent verification.

Deer and rabbits have never been a problem in our particular area, too many dogs for them to feel comfortable I think.

This post was edited by peachymomo on Wed, May 21, 14 at 9:50

o

That is freaky. I have bad borers, but they bore into harder canes, when they are more like wood. Mine go bonkers and bore for feet :(

Spinosad may be worth a shot, but I don't know what kind of borer that is. Definitely cut out and dispose of any canes like that, and I'd try several rounds of spinosad (just a guess at what might help, keep in mind). Make sure to spray it late in the day when the bees are in for the night, though. It's toxic to them until it dries.

I hope someone can ID what exactly is going on, though!

o

This kind of damage is not caused by the little bees and wasps that drill the cut cane ends. It is a beetle larva or sawfly larva. Check out "raspberry horntail," a western sawfly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here