Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noacceptance772

Rose bush turning into a raisin?

noacceptance772
9 years ago

So remember that beautiful Black Baccara Bush I shown you all?(Picture attached)
So, the soil was perfectly moist, etc and for some reason, the bush just started getting all wrinkly and it's leaves are weak. the canes are wrinkly, btw.
It is dying, I guess.
I lifted it only to discover that the soil was devoid of any roots.
Could this be because the root stock died?
:(
Please help!

Comments (8)

• anntn6b
    9 years ago

With no information as to what part of the country you live in and what zone your roses grow it, it's impossible to suggest what (probably) regional problem your rose has.

Sorry, but where you garden really does make a difference.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

Do you have problems with voles? It's possible that they ate the roots off your rose. In which case you're going to need to plant your roses in pots or in cages in the ground in order to save them.

Were there ANY roots? If so I'd pot it up, cut off all blooms and buds, put it in some partial shade and baby it to try and save it.

• noacceptance772
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I live in Nottingham and I do not know what zone it is in. :/
    It is already in a pot.. :(
    No voles. No ground to put my roses in either, so they are always in pots.
    There are no roots except for the main roots. Ya know, the big ones.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

There are no roots except for the main roots. Ya know, the big ones.

Main roots are fine. They work just as well as the other kind. No roots at all are the kind that don't work. Did your weather warm up all of a sudden?

• noacceptance772
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The weather did not warm up, no but all of a sudden it started raining for days and nights, maybe 4 days now.

• User
    9 years ago

Do you have vine weevil where you are - the no roots is often a sign of something chomping on them....and here in the UK, the culprit is usually vine weevils. Check the soil for larvae - tip the pot out and go through it, looking for small, white maggoty things with a tan-coloured head. Nematodes will fix the problem.

• seil zone 6b MI
    9 years ago

OK, does your pot have good drainage and is there a tray on the bottom of it? If so take the tray off! If you've had days of rain it could be getting too much water and doesn't have enough drainage to keep it from collecting in the pot and rotting the roots. Roses hate to have wet, soggy roots. If there aren't enough holes in the pot drill in some more and then put the pot up on a block or something, being careful not to block the holes so that the water will drain out freely.

• noacceptance772
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the replies, awesome guys and girls Unfortunately, none of those conditions apply.
    I have been growing roses for a while now,and I can tell that it is the root stock that is faulty :(
    The rose is already dead now, so I will try to make them give me a refund for giving me a faulty rose.

Thanks and enjoy your weeks, peeps! ^_^