Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cupshaped_roses

Fragrant yellow roses for cutting

cupshaped_roses
14 years ago

I just got word that I can to get a little extra. small plot of land nearby (about 900 sq feet) this means I will get even more room for growing roses for cutting and growing the rootstocks and roses I propagate by grafting myself!

It may not sound like much - but most roses do not grow very big up here - Only 1/3 third the size of roses in USA zone 6. (Typical Hybrid tea - 2-3 feet tall and 1.5 feet wide - Golden Celebration - 3-4 feet tall and 3 feet wide - Sun Sprite 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide to give you an idea how small the roses are here)

I grow the roses in roses in rows/lines planted 1 feet apart - 4 feet between the rows -since the roses are grown for cutting only ( I sell many white/pink roses to florists already - Eden rose and Austins are the bestsellers! They call to hear what is availble for exclusive wedding bouquets and extraordinary flower decorations and come harvesting themselves - quite a good extra income from a quality niche product, they can't get anywhere else (Try finding fresh cut Fragrant Romanticas, Austins and old Garden roses at your local florist!).

So far I plan on growing:

Golden Celebration

Graham Thomas

Jude The Obscure

The Alchymiste

I am looking for more VERY fragrant yellow (preferably a warm yellow) or yellow/apricot/orange blend roses. Over the years I have not payed much attention to yellow roses, since I did not have room for them - some years ago I smelled a golden yellow Hybrid Tea, that was very fragrant, with a sharp citrus topnote - can't remember the name of course ... any suggestions for good yellows I have ignored so far?

Comments (23)

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Michael! My brain must be mush - since I had forgotten about Poulsens Chinatown! A huge 5-8 feet tall, very healthy , should probably be classified as a grandiflora - the leaves are so huge and I do remember the big very fragrant flowers too!

Sophia Renaissance is also a must - a very, very productive yellow rose with a good fragrance. I see on HMF that Cass in CA grow that rose.

I do like Valencia - but like you write it really isn't that productive of a "crop rose" here too. Can´t remember the fragrance either?

I do remember Amber Queen is a good rose here and I should probably add another Harkness rose - Samaritan too. Also Tantaus Chippendale, even though both are more apricot orange.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

How about Brownell's 'Golden Glow'???

Jeri

Here is a link that might be useful: Golden Glow at HelpMeFind

• athenainwi
    14 years ago

I'll warn you that Samaritan isn't good for cutting, but it is a very nice rose in every other respect. Gold Medal is my best yellow cut rose. It has a nice fragrance, good form, and good color. The only problem with it is that it likes to grow fairly tall before producing flowers so it doesn't bloom as well as I would like.

Valencia was new to me last year so I can't say much about it yet. It does have a fragrance but it isn't very strong. The blooms are beautiful though and I'm quite happy with it. I'm not sure if it survived the winter yet as I haven't gotten to that part of the garden yet.

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Golden Glow looks interesting Jeri. And I can get it here in Europe and graft some plant myself. It will probably also not fade much since the sunintensity is not very high up here. Usually climbing HTs do not become so big here unless we plant them up against walls.

My Poulsen White Night climbing HT became 8-9 feet tall against a wall and produces about 400 flowers every year. In my cutting garden I grow 4 and they are only 5 feet tall and not nearly as productive.

Sorry to hear that Samaritan is not good for cutting :-( it does have a nice fragrance. I know some gardens around here where they grow Valencia. I will Check it out. Hope yours survived.

• jerijen
    14 years ago

I photographed GG in the San Jose Heritage Rose Garden.
    It's one heckuva gorgeous plant.
    The very very deep green glossy foliage was a perfect backdrop for the big flashy blooms.

{{gwi:268482}}

Jeri

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

Maybe Julia Child?
    Masha

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting a good picture of the flower Jeri! I like the very saturated yellow and to see it looks good in both the bud stage and fully mature stage. I will give it a try. There are so many good roses out there we never hear much about - new is not always better.

• odie96
    14 years ago

Celebrity is a beautiful yellow and one of my favorites.

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Julia Child Looks great too! I remember it has an unsual fragrance. Sadly it does not seem to be available in Europe yet. Wonder why - since other of Carruths roses have made its way over here already? Sadly I can not propagate the rose either, since it is new and licensed.

• markiz37
    14 years ago

How about Michelangelo and Mountbatten?

• User
    14 years ago

You have to smell and see Midas Touch.
    Gorgeous cutting rose.
    Not a great looking rose bush, but for your purposes, that is the plant for you.
    Good Luck!

• curlydoc
    14 years ago

The highly fragrant yellow hybrid tea you may be remembering might be Sun Flare, which to my nose has a strong licorice fragrance. Other highly fragrant yellow roses (in addition to Sunsprite and Julia Child) are: Golden Zest, Lemon Spice, Molineux, Lemon Zest, Honey Perfume, Strike It Rich and let's not forget Peace, which has a wonderful fragrance to those noses that can appreciate it. Here are some photos:

SUN FLARE
    {{gwi:268483}}

GOLDEN ZEST
    {{gwi:268484}}

GOLDEN ZEST
    {{gwi:268485}}

LEMON SPICE
    {{gwi:268486}}

MOLINEUX
    {{gwi:268487}}

LEMON ZEST
    {{gwi:268488}}

HONEY PERFUME
    {{gwi:268489}}

STRIKE IT RICH
    {{gwi:268490}}

PEACE
    {{gwi:268491}}

• hartwood
    14 years ago

My most recent favorite yellow(ish) rose for cutting is Chief Seattle. The flowers are beautiful, and the bush is upright and strong, and the flowers are so fragrant that even I can smell them.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Chief Seattle

• cupshaped_roses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much for your interesting suggestions. I will remember to look out for these roses this summer when I visit gardens and nurseries with big collections of modern roses.
    Interesting to see the parentage of some of these roses.

Curlydoc - I really like the fragrance of Peace too - not strong but delicate. Interesting to see that it gets more pink hues in intense sun/or heat.

• terra_roseman
    14 years ago

I agree with above on Gold Medal, it has the char you are looking for plus holds its form well. Many of the austins blow quickly, not good for a florist !!!!

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Hi! I was considering Gold Metal and someone posted that it can revert to a white rose?

Anyway, Cup..did you check out Valencia? I am considering it today.

• greenhaven
    14 years ago

I have the Austin rose Windermere, which has a beautiful, delicate, fruitty fragrance. I love this rose!

• jont1
    14 years ago

Gold Medal, Hopie Girl, Southern Belle, Aztec Gold, Eternal Flame, Julia Child, Honey Perfume, Ch-Ching, and Welcome Home are just a few I can think of that I like to cut for vases in the home. Fragrance varies widely, but most have at least a little. Southern Belle is the most fragrant yellow I grow I think.
    John

• klglassey44
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Marco Polo, grown in Palo Alto in a partly shaded garden, has 2' tall stems with fragrant and nicely shaped clear yellow blooms. He is tall though - topping out at more than 6'. I also grow Strike it Rich and Gold Medal - for their rich orange/honey gold. New Day has done well for another yellow - lovely shaped bush.

• fragrancenutter
    7 years ago

How about Granada? It last a very long time in the vase and very fragrant. Highly productive and best shape in cooler weather. It is a yellow/red/orange blend.

• barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

Jude the Obscure lasts only a day or two in the vase for me; I'm in hot, humid 8A (coastal Virginia, climate much like Charleston). The petals all let go at once, leaving a beautiful wreck on the kitchen counter!

• barbarag_happy
    7 years ago

Oh! The Alchymiste is a once bloomer and a GREAT BIG sprawling shrub; I grew it on a six foot fence in Ohio five feet from its neighbors. Very cold hardy and sublimely beautiful, I'd love to grow it again. But it's a ONCE bloomer so not for me.