Return to the Roses Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Polyantha rose for durability-what companion rose for scent?

Posted by tristate 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 12 at 11:32

I'm planting my first rose this season and after research and questions to the local Hudson Valley forum, have decided a polyantha would be best. It's cold hardiness, disease/pest resistance, thorniness (less than a rugosa) and slight attractivness to deer means it's the real winner. BUT I'm going to miss the scent of a rose! I'd like a recommendation for interplanting a polyantha with another species which has a scent. I've got almost 150 feet of unobstructed space along my deck which gets ALOT of sun and great air circulation (but not wind). From ground to deck height is a good 4-5 feet. I'd like a taller rose which isn't a bush type and wouldn't be so needy as to require full time maintenance. I can either plant scented roses in back for height and shorter polyantha in front or do a "tall rose-space-polyantha-space" series all the way around. Recommendations please!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Polyantha rose for durability-what companion rose for scent?

Which Polyantha rose do you have in mind? There are many that are tall and/or fragrant. Perle d'Or is one which can get 8x8 feet. In addition some are thornless.

You can look at Vintages list of available and unavailable Polies to get a sense for size and fragrance. They are also Climbing Polyanthas that can be trained on a fence or chain link.

Good luck,
FJ

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Garden's list of Polyanthas

o

It's a long time between now and bareroot season next spring, so you have a lot of time to do your research. There are odd little pocket gardens around that have a rose or two that you can get a sense of how they perform.

Local nurseries tend to have an extremely limited rose selection. Most of their offerings are not good for the climate, and it can get very tricky. If you do happen to stumble on something good, if can disappear in the time it takes to do the research to confirm it is good and get back to the nursery. For example, Adams entire rugosa selection can disappear in a matter of days, leaving only the hybrid teas that nobody wants. People here will try to talk you into ordering potted own-root plants, but for a variety of reasons there are issues with those. For one thing, the nurseries that carry them tend to be in warmer climates and don't offer the hardier roses. For another, some of them can be just plain difficult in a cold climate own-root and the nurseries don't necessarily know which ones those are.

So to make this very easy, wait until next winter, then order something like three Jacques Cartiers from Pickering.

o

The rugosas are very fragrant and extremely cold-tolerant so that might be a good bet for you. There are whites, pinks and purples so you should find something you like. I believe the rugosas that have Grootendorst in their name are not fragrant, so I'd avoid those.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here